Passive FTP

Got a feature request? Great! Post your ideas here!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mukip
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Passive FTP

Post by Mukip »

Hi

My IP is dinamic, so when my ip change, i cant connect to my FTP server, because the option "Respond with external IP for passive FTP request" only accept IP, not my dyndns hostname.

When i was using Fillezilla server on my computer, i was using my dyndns domain.

Whats the possibility to use dyndns or auto update the new ISP IP adress?

Sorry my english :s

ty
father.mande

Re: Passive FTP

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

As I known, if you don't fill the "Respond with external IP for passive FTP request" it is automatically updated with external I.P. and when external I.P. change ... the value is updated (after a short delay) without any works for you. ... so if you have an DDNS define (Asustor or another) you can use it, because it is also refresh at change after a short delay.

BUT ... the question is : why did you used FTP ... if it's imposed by your activity OK, if not ... FTP is not secure and opening (forwarding) large known range port is a security hole.
if the usage is personal, have a look to SFTP (use same SSH encrypted connection), SFTP is easy to configure in client like Fillezilla and offer with a unique port (forwarded also) a secure access, the major difference is for access right ... that are based on A.D.M. user and right and not as separate user definition ... and don't accept anonymous connection.

If FTP is your choice ... also consider using VPN from client to NAS ... to add security and access control ... PPTP for windows or better OpenVPN to have more configuration option ... the two are really not complicated to configure and use ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Mukip

Post by Mukip »

i unchecked the box "Respond with external IP for passive FTP request", but still not working (5 hours later).

I use ftp because i need fast access to my files at any computer that im using.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Mukip wrote:i unchecked the box "Respond with external IP for passive FTP request", but still not working (5 hours later).
I use ftp because i need fast access to my files at any computer that im using.
... sorry I don't explain me clearly ..
... let checked the square check box, but DON'T enter any value in in the text box just behind ... the text box is automatically filled with actual external I.P. and , normally, changed when your external I.P. is changed (after a delay) ... I can't test this quickly, because my Fiber I.S.P. in France don't change the I.P. (even dynamic) before long delay ...

F.Y.I. FTP is not really fast except if you use split / multiple FTP sessions, build from long time, FTP use around 1/4 of the bandwidth in "normal" usage ... so some FTP client and server add function to split file in parts and run it in parallel ... to reduce the time to transfer ... so with a "faster" visibility for the user.
BUT, except for large file where FTP is faster due to the not encrypted not secure protocol ... the difference is small, because, now lot of CPU have enough power / memory to manager encrypt / decrypt without latency.
FTP is always the best on LAN ... but for security it's the worst using Internet ... so it's a user (your) choice.

Philippe.
Mukip

Post by Mukip »

i will try again checking the box, the other time i've tried and it didnt changed when my ip change

When i said fast access, was to get to this files without need install any program to download, because sftp i need to use programs like WinSCP right?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Mukip wrote:i will try again checking the box, the other time i've tried and it didnt changed when my ip change
When i said fast access, was to get to this files without need install any program to download, because sftp i need to use programs like WinSCP right?
NO lot of ftp client programs can use SFTP
I use on my Windows PC Fillezilla ... for ex.
hereafter the dialog box ... as an example
sftp.png
sftp.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 6842 times
On Linux also or using command line tool (sftp) ... etc. (same on Mac using App. Store)

Philippe.
Mukip

Post by Mukip »

i dont use filezilla client at the PCs, when im at any computer i open the file explorer and type ftp://myserver.dyndns.com:3550/ use my login and pw and i have full access to all my files.

I use random computer so i cant install filezilla or any other program.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Mukip wrote:i dont use filezilla client at the PCs, when im at any computer i open the file explorer and type ftp://myserver.dyndns.com:3550/ use my login and pw and i have full access to all my files.
I use random computer so i cant install filezilla or any other program.
OK ... a good reason, even fillezilla portable exist ;) ... so if you can use an USB key ... you can use powerful tool in any Windows PC (I use them to get all my configured target without installing and keep data on any PC)
... lot of tools exist in a "portable" form ex. but not only https://portableapps.com/apps for Windows but also exist for Linux ... I don't know for Mac.

I speak about fillezilla client, due to your first message with fillezilla server ...

Philippe.
Mukip

Post by Mukip »

i cant use any usb storage :s, all what i have is the computer of the company :s

Return to “Feature Requests”