SSD Cache Grayed

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
orfishnhunt
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

SSD Cache Grayed

Post by orfishnhunt »

I am setting up an AS5404T using 2 4TB Nvme's for OS and apps and 2 1TB Nvme's for cache. The 2 4TB's are Raid1 and working fine. But SSD Cache in the "Management" Menu is grayed out. I have tried mounting the 2 1TB's as Raid 1 and not luck. also mounted them as single drives. No luck. Even unmounted them and it is still grayed out. None of the directions I have taken seem to have worked including the ones here and AsusTor's user manuals. What am I missing?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-07-07 132704.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-07 132704.jpg (52.14 KiB) Viewed 100 times
Screenshot 2024-07-07 132630.jpg
Screenshot 2024-07-07 132630.jpg (31.92 KiB) Viewed 100 times
orfishnhunt

Re: SSD Cache Grayed

Post by orfishnhunt »

I think I should say, I have not installed any disks other than the NVme drives. But i will be installing 4 12TB drive in Raid 5
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Have you tried:
Removing the two 4TB drives then trying to configure the two 1TB drives?
Swapping the RAID1 to the first two slots?
orfishnhunt

Post by orfishnhunt »

I figured it out. The issue was the physical drives were not installed. But even after installing them, it was grayed you. You have to wait until they are sync'd as well. So the conditions for SSD Cache is to have the physical SATA drives installed and sync must be complete. Once sync is complete, select the drives in the Storage Manager then hit "Management". SSD Cache should be able to be selected. Once you finish the set up, you get to wait for SSD Cache to sync. :)
orfishnhunt

Post by orfishnhunt »

I don't know if slot selection is as important. If you populate the M.2 slots without SATA drives installed, the OS will run off the ones you set up for the raid.
snapshot wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:03 pm Have you tried:
Removing the two 4TB drives then trying to configure the two 1TB drives?
Swapping the RAID1 to the first two slots?
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

Yes, it does make sense that you can't have a cache without something to be cached.

I don't know either if M.2 slot placement matters. I was just trying to eliminate it as a possible problem.
ndl101

Post by ndl101 »

snapshot wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:45 pm Yes, it does make sense that you can't have a cache without something to be cached.

I don't know either if M.2 slot placement matters. I was just trying to eliminate it as a possible problem.
It is not about whether or not "there is something to be cached". Only the nvme devices in the m2 slots can be used as cache and only if they are not already initialized as a volume (and probably only if there is another volue available as well).

I made it long as I lacked the time to make it short.

---
Help to self-help:
How to ask (good) questions in a forum
---
General information
NAS: Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T)

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”