difference noticable between 2,5gbps and 1gbps

Interested in our products? Please post any inquiries here.
Beeldbuisje
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

difference noticable between 2,5gbps and 1gbps

Post by Beeldbuisje »

Hello Asustor friends,

By the end of the summer I'm planning to upgrade my old DS411 Synology NAS.

I mostly use the NAS for storage and backup of my personal documents and photo's.

Another very important task of this device will be the storage of movie files. I try to rip in a very good quality, so the files are mostly 20GB and more.
Today you can buy NAS systems with a 1 Gbps LAN as well as 2,5Gbps. The last option seems to be interesting for copying them faster from my computer to the NAS.
However, I'm afraid the faster LAN speed could be limited by the harddisks.

Is there some experience here about this subject? My future NAS has to have 4 bays and I will equip them with "traditional" harddisks, installed in RAID.
Computer is a MacStudio with 10Gbps LAN, switch is also 2,5Gbps.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Gert
snapshot

Re: difference noticable between 2,5gbps and 1gbps

Post by snapshot »

My secondary NAS (AS5202T) has two HDDs in RAID 1 and maintains 2.1Gbps when copying large files to my PC. Four HDDs in RAID 10 or RAID 5 should easily be able to saturate 2.5Gbps. I think buying a NAS without 2.5Gbps would be an odd decision, given that the rest of your LAN supports it. Whatever you use it for, it's going to be faster than a NAS with only 1Gbps.

By the time you are ready to buy, Asustor may have released (rather than just announced) its new range with 10Gbps and 5Gbps. I have 10Gbps between my PC and primary NAS and it's as if the NAS drives are local.
Beeldbuisje

Post by Beeldbuisje »

Very interesting info. In that case I have to upgrade my LAN switch too, but I don't think this will be the big cost...

But this transfer speeds... do you use "normal" HDD's or SSD' in your NAS?
snapshot

Post by snapshot »

The figures I gave were for HDDs. I don't think 18TB SSDs are available yet and I'm sure I couldn't afford them even if they were.
My primary NAS has six 6TB HDDs in RAID 10 and will maintain around 4.5Gbps. It also has two 4TB M.2 SSDs in RAID 1 which can maintain 10Gbps when writing to another M.2 SSD in my PC.

Return to “Presales”