Running Windows 11 Virtual Machine on NAS

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.
wingers
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Running Windows 11 Virtual Machine on NAS

Post by wingers »

Hi

Does the Virtual Machine app (Virtualbox I believe it uses) support running Windows 11 on the NAS. I am asking because I need to know if it supports virtual TPM etc to allow Windows 11 to be installed. I am deciding between asustor, Synology and QNAP for my NAS, and QNAP definitely supports Windows 11 virtual machines as they provide a virtual TPM (vTPM) solution to allow it to run.

Many thanks
wingers

Re: Running Windows 11 Virtual Machine on NAS

Post by wingers »

Having also asked support via email who confirmed it would run Windows 11, and now having spent £469 on a device it appears it can't run Windows in VirtualBox as no settings for TPM and get error message about not meeting requirements when installing
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

If it is not under 'Settings > System > Motherboard > TPM' and you are using v7.0.6, I suggesting contacting both Asustor and VirtualBox support.

If you're using a AS70, AS50, or AS51, v6.1.12 is the latest version. Again, you could ask support about this being updated.

Either way, you can just disable the TPM 2.0 requirement.
wingers

Post by wingers »

It is 7.0.6 and it is not showing TPM under Settings > System > Motherboard. I have emailed Asustor support as it was them who told me it worked before I purchased.

Yes I know I could "hack" the ISO etc to remove TPM requirement, but then it won't install build updates due to same requirements, so would rather it work from a legal non-modified image
ilike2burnthing

Updates work fine when using the Microsoft-implemented setting to disable the requirement.
wingers

Post by wingers »

okay cool, so how can I remove requirements from the ISO I am using to install?
ilike2burnthing

wingers

Post by wingers »

Already tried editing ISO and removing 'appraiserres.dll' but still get error message about not meeting requirements when trying to install to VM. Now trying Rufus to remove restrictions and then will create a new ISO file
wingers

Post by wingers »

still no joy, also tried asking on virtualbox forum but they don't support phpVirtualBox

Return to “Virtualization”