Problem using VirtualBox on Asustor portal

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.
asuster
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Problem using VirtualBox on Asustor portal

Post by asuster »

I got VirtualBox with a custom VM ISO installed & working on the first AS5404T NAS, but had difficulty when the faulty NAS was replaced.

I overcame that (it required php8 and web server, already installed (wasn't activated by migration) to be selected to activate) and the VM runs, but doesn't show up on the HDMI output as it did before.

I believe I may have a misconfiguration of the Asustor Portal. I changed the default admin password which worked and I can login to VirtualBox admin interface on the portal using it. Could that be why I see no display of the VM on the HDMI?

The portal shows up on the HDMI, but when I click the VM the portal window goes blank and all I see is the mouse pointer.
Another symptom is when I click the "recycle" button under "Currently being displayed on Asustor Portal:", to the left of "ASUSTOR Portal" I see the "Loading" spinner and it never comes back; I have to refresh the web page and login again to ADM.

In the preview window of the VirtuaBox admin page console text is visible but it's not showing up on the HDMI interface.

I would actually prefer if the only thing that shows up on the HDMI output was the VBox VM, and none of the portal apps or interface.
asuster

Re: Problem using VirtualBox on Asustor portal

Post by asuster »

The more I play the Asustor Portal through the ADM web interface the less I'm liking it. For example, when I add another VM it appears in the list of apps I can move around, but I can't delete them. Why not? I added them I should be able to remove them. When I select a VM and click the trash can icon the popup says "You cannot delete default apps."

I also don't see any help info for Asustor Portal. If you search for portal some things show up but there should be an Asustor Portal main heading with more info available.
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I actually ditched the ADM portal long ago. It's not up to my expectations, quite sluggish. I also don't use DE VMs for VB, only headless if necessary to use different kernel, mostly due to the overhead and doesn't run smoothly on HDMI. LXC has been my HDMI daily driver, modded to run Ubuntu, now currently version 24.04. Refer to my old posts, Asustor Nimbustor4 - NVIDIA GameStream and Sound?.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
asuster

Post by asuster »

ilike2burnthing wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:11 am By help info, do you mean this? https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=135
I found a stripped down version of that, but I didn't find the one you linked, which doesn't say very much about VirtualBox.

Perhaps my blank video isn't a portal config issue, but I've fiddled with the vbox settings till I'm blue in the face and the problem persists.
I reverted the vbox admin password back to admin but no change so that wasn't the issue.
It's like the target OS display isn't being sent to the HDMI after the op sys is booted. I see an initial op sys starting page with progress bar, then a splash page. then nothing once the op sys is fully booted.

Return to “Virtualization”