Asustor FS12

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.
TheCodeMan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Asustor FS12

Post by TheCodeMan »

I just purchased an Asustor FS12 and installed two 2 TB drives, as a mirror, as well as upgrade the memory to 16GB. Anxious to move VMs off my older Synology spinning disk NAS to a faster solution, I migrated my VCENTER VM as well as a number of other VMs including DCs (Domain Controllers), HAOS (Home Assistant) and WSUS (Windows System Update Server) all of which contain internal databases. Everything appears to be fine with the hardware and I'm not using any apps or services on the NAS short of ISCSI. The other day I noticed corruption on all of these VMs and I had to restore them all from backup. I see nothing in the Asus logs that provide any details. Everything is on UPS so there was no power loss of any kind. I restored all the VMs back to the Synology NAS and they hum along with no issues. I'm afraid to migrate anything of importance to the Asustor at this point.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this? Very disappointed that this is happening as I was really looking forward the major upgrade.
Nazar78

Re: Asustor FS12

Post by Nazar78 »

Without looking at the internals I can't tell much. You should open a ticket with Asustor Support.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
TheCodeMan

Post by TheCodeMan »

I opened a ticket and the first response was because my VMs were originally created on a Synology LUN, the migration to the Asustor could have caused corruption. In the 20 years I have been working with VMware, storage is storage, doesn't really matter the vendor. If the storage is mountable using iSCSI, and the datastore is created, it should work. I disproved this by cloning a VM to the Asustor and running sfc /scannow to confirm no file corruption in the OS. The next day, there was file corruption. I remoted into the VM and it showed the dialog indicating an improper shutdown. I upgraded using the following memory and I'm now wondering if that could be the issue - Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Laptop Memory CT2K8G4SFRA32A

The drives I'm using are not on the hardware list but the support person agreed that was likely not the issue - TEAMGROUP MP44L 2TB SLC Cache NVMe 1.4 PCIe Gen 4x4 M.2 2280 Laptop&Desktop SSD (R/W Speed up to 4,800/4,400MB/s) TM8FPK002T0C101

I have the Asustor FS12 connected to a Ubiquiti Unifi switch in a 10GB port using 10Gtek 10GBase-T SFP+ to RJ-45 Transceiver, 10Gbe SFP+ Copper Ethernet CAT6a Module and UGREEN Cat 8 Ethernet Cable 6FT, High Speed Braided 40Gbps 2000Mhz Network Cord Cat8 RJ45 Shielded Indoor Heavy Duty LAN Cable. I am using an MTU of 9000 so jumbo frames. I'm not seeing any errors with networking.

At this point all I can think of to try is put the original memory back in and run the same test. If that fails, replace the NVME with an approved drive and test. Any suggestions beyond this or do you see anything glaringly wrong with this setup?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Yes I agree, storage is storage. Afraid you'll need to troubleshoot both the nvme and ram because if the vm can get corruption, high chances to the OS and data too.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
TheCodeMan

Post by TheCodeMan »

So far I have replaced the Crucial memory with the OEM memory and I get the same result. I have replaced the SFP+ 10GB adapter and the Cat8 cable with a Cat6 cable connected to a switch at 1GB. Still get the same result. I have created two luns, one on each single drive I have installed. I have a test VM on each lun and both VMs show disk errors overnight. I did notice that as I created snapshots on the FS12, it tended to cause these disk errors during the snapshot, but they are also occuring with no snapshots taking place. I will replace the drives tonight with a couple of other drives I have laying around and do further testing, but so far this is not looking good. I only purchased this flash storage for the one purpose, If I can't use it with VMware, it's of no use to me.

I wanted to post several attachments but it looks like the board quota has been met.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Upload them to some free image sites then post the links here.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

TheCodeMan

Post by TheCodeMan »

Just a quick update on this. Further testing seems to show that there are issues with iSCSI on the FS12. I converted several drives to NFS shares and migrated my VMs. There has been no further corruption since, so that clearly shows the networking, memory, and drives are fine. I believe this is a specific issue with iSCSI in ADM and the connection to VMware. I am following up with Asus on this issue.

The NFS workaround is not ideal as you lose the block support of iSCSI and there are performance hits as well, but the speed of the FS12, even with this degradation, makes the negatives acceptable at this point. Hopefully Asus will address and resolve the iSCSI issue as it pertains to VMware.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”