Pihole from asus app central not working.

Just about everything is virtual these days. Topics relating to virutalization go here.
vladdt
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Pihole from asus app central not working.

Post by vladdt »

I'm trying to install PiHole from AppCentral. Container is installing and running, but it not working as DNS server. Network is host and published ports are empty. I have access to web interface and can see queries only from localhost. Using NAS ip address as DNS is not working. I used PiHole on Unraid, but there it used bridge network and worked on separate IP address. When I'm trying to telnet port 53 on NAS: Connection closed by foreign host. Firewall allowing all connections by default. According to info, you just need to install container and it should work. No, it's not. Network interfaces are teamed with round robin.

Other containers, like qBittorent or Calibre Web are working. But they all are using bridge network.

Looks likes the problem somewhere in container's network settings. But I don't want to install container manually, I want it to be maintained from the official app store.

Creating Pihole container from Portainer, same network, same config - it working. From Asus AppCentral - it isn't.
Nazar78

Re: Pihole from asus app central not working.

Post by Nazar78 »

You got 3 options:

1. Recreate the container setting the environment INTERFACE matching your teaming LB i.e. bond0 or bond0-br (for bridged).

2. Recreate the contain using bridge and expose the ports 53 (tcp/udp) and 3001.

3. Change pihole option to 'Permit all origins', Settings -> DNS -> Interface settings. Read the warnings, basically it also applies to point 1 & 2 above which you should understand what you're doing i.e. running IPv6 without firewall.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
vladdt

Re: Pihole from asus app central not working.

Post by vladdt »

Thank you for the hint!
Problem was in 3rd option, but you don't even need permit all origins! :) By some reasons maintainer set in image settings Respond only on interface eth0. And I missed it. While recommended settings are Allow only local requests. I tried to check all container's yamls, trying to find a problem. While should go and check web interface from the beginning. :)
I wrote to maintainer, hope he will change default settings.

Return to “Virtualization”