What NAS for synchronize with Mageia Linux ?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dantou
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

What NAS for synchronize with Mageia Linux ?

Post by dantou »

I want a NAS to host photo files and the photo software database (DigiKam). The software is on each PC, accesses the database on the NAS, and allows you to view or load the photo from the NAS to work on it, as with any photo, and saves the photo. Thus, the PC (or whether it is geographically) brings its CPU to work on the photo and the photo software, the NAS brings the Database (which can exceed 20G°) and all the photo files. I thus solve the 2 biggest problems of teamwork: the availability of all photos; the lack of space on PCs, mainly laptops (supplied with 250 G° to at best 1 T°! whereas I would need almost 6 T°).
Then I need synchronization software to replicate the changes on 1 or 2 PCs, in order to always have the latest version of the photo, the NAS being able to record version n-1 for example. And obviously the NAS management software, all accepted by my OS: Linux Mageia (or equivalent in '.rpm').
This actually requires a top network, but portable 2.5 Gb/s cards are starting to be found at affordable prices (UGREEN style I think), I have 6a cable or even wifi 6...
What do you think ?
Which Asustor NAS can allow me to do this?
Thank you for your comments.
Sincerely, Dan
dantou

Re: What NAS for synchronize with Mageia Linux ?

Post by dantou »

Yes like2burnthing, I've seen. But what with Mageia Linux OS synchronization ? And what software to ensure this continuous synchronization? This is why I exposed my problem and my needs to users, hoping that one of you had a more or less identical problem. And what material he thinks is best able to provide satisfaction.
Merci pour ces liens, mais les questions sont trop vagues pour répondre à une demande précise.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Any NAS can do what you mentioned but it's how you're going to implement and manage it.

Have you looked at the docker based DigiKam https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-digikam ? This however requires a NAS with x86-64 or arm64 arch.

I'm not using DigiKam but a quick glance think you could migrate it to the container instance on the NAS or at least run the DB on the NAS. Then schedule a nightly DB dump to backup to USB or remote location.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
dantou

Post by dantou »

Thank you for your response Nazar78, but to manage it, I need a responsive NAS. I don't know Docker, because my current NAS (Synology DS215J) doesn't know how to handle it. I followed the link you gave me, but didn't understand what it was or what to do with it. I'm going to do some research on Docker to try to understand. But would an AS5402T type NAS be able to support this solution?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

AS5402T 2 bay 4 NVMe is slightly faster than my 2019 4 bay non-NVMe model (heavy usage) and way way much faster than your DS215J. Running DigiKam on AS5402T you'll be able to use its hardware acceleration.

For docker, just watch some YouTube. It's a learning curve but sure you can manage. You can play around with it on your Mageia.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Just got some time to test it out. It's running on the NAS docker via custom noVNC, I simply chose the internal MySQL. You can chose to run multiple instance of the container and share the media/DB location or run it on your current instance still sharing the media/DB migrated to the NAS.

Just in case you need the commands, change it accordingly:

Code: Select all

docker run -d \
  --name=DigiKam \
  -e PUID=999 \
  -e PGID=999 \
  -e TZ=Asia/Singapore \
  -p 3000:3000 \
  -v /share/Docker/DigiKam/config:/config \
  --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri \
  --restart unless-stopped \
  lscr.io/linuxserver/digikam:latest
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

dantou

Post by dantou »

Thank you very much, and especially Nazar78. I'll try to understand how Docker works, then I'll come back and ask you some questions :o), because you seem to have a good handle on it. You wouldn't be French by chance, because me and English....
Merci beaucoup à vous, et particulièrement Nazar78. Je vais essayer de comprendre comment fonctionne Docker, puis je reviendrais te poser des questions :o), car tu as l'air de bien maîtriser. Tu ne serais pas français par hasard, car moi et l'anglais ....
Cordialement, Dan

Return to “NAS Utilities”