Audiobookshelf

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

HowdyMcGee
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Audiobookshelf

Post by HowdyMcGee »

So, Jellyfin is not great when working with Audiobooks as of 2024. I'd like to explore Audiobookshelf, but since it's not an official app, I'm not sure where to start. I have an Asustor AS5402T. I have Docker Engine, presumably by Jellyfin, but I'm not seeing where I'm able to access Docker to create additional containers. Not seeing a Docker specific app either. Couldn't find anything in the forums searching for Audiobookshelf.

Any suggestions on how to get started on getting Audiobookshelf to work with my NAS?
Nazar78

Re: Audiobookshelf

Post by Nazar78 »

AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
HowdyMcGee

Post by HowdyMcGee »

Thanks for the reply!

Is this not something I can do from the Asustor web portal that comes with the Asustor AS5402T?

Do I disregard what Asustor has with the web portal and apps, partition the drive, install a linux OS, and start from scratch?

The link doesn't really give me suggestions, tips, or advice for my Asustor situation.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

The link describes how to get Audiobookshelf up and running. What you're dealing here is containerized apps. This is done via Docker Engine. You can either create using docker compose or you pull the image and run the container, terminate or destroy when no longer needed. Suggest you read more about containers, there's few engines, specifically here is docker.

Now to get Audiobookshelf running, you'll need of course the docker engine which has been installed automatically when you install jellyfin. Then there's two ways, I'll assume you're new to this:

1. SSH into the NAS, enable it from the portal Services>Terminal. Using any SSH client such as putty for Windows, SSH as the NAS-ADMIN into the NAS IP port 22. Once logged in the terminal, run the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo docker rm -f Audiobookshelf>/dev/null 2>&1

sudo docker create -i -t --name=Audiobookshelf \
	-p 13378:80 \
	-v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro \
	-v /share/Docker/Audiobookshelf/config:/config:rw \
	-v /share/Docker/Audiobookshelf/metadata:/metadata:rw \
	-v /share/Media/Audiobookshelf/audiobooks:/audiobooks:rw \
	-v /share/Media/Audiobookshelf/podcasts:/podcasts:rw \
	ghcr.io/advplyr/audiobookshelf:latest

sudo docker start Audiobookshelf
Access it from the browser: http://<YOUR-NAS-IP>:13378/. Your audiobooks and podcasts will be mapped in /share/Media/Audiobookshelf/* or you can change them before you run the commands above. Once created and you want to change the paths, you'll need to remove and recreate the container again.

2. If you prefer GUI, install Portainer from the App Central to create (similar to option #1) and/or maintain your containers and more but you still have to understand the concept of how container works. You can Google how to use Portainer.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “Developer's Corner”