How to use SSD volume for ADM and apps

Fredsan
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to use SSD volume for ADM and apps

Post by Fredsan »

I just installed a new lockerstore 4 gen2. 4 HDs in raid5, 2 SSDs in Raid1 as second volume. No SSD caching installed. How can I assign the SSD volume as system volume to be used as default volume for all the installed apps. Currently all apps are instaled on the raid5 volume1.
orion

Re: How to use SSD volume for ADM and apps

Post by orion »

You actually got the answer by yourself. You'll need to create volume 1 onto SSD.
qnetso

Post by qnetso »

I set up my system with mechanical hard drives and added the SSDs later. Surely I can move ADM to the SSDs without having to start from scratch??

Actually this brings up another question - I have four mechanical 8tb drives in a raid 6 coinfiguration and 2 500gb SSDs. I've mirrored the SSDs as I thought I'd like to get the performance benefit for containers I install, I'm thinking 500GB is plenty of space for my containers. I don't know if the 2 500gb SSD would be 'wasted' as a cache, or if I'd barely notice a difference between hosting ADM and Container apps on a pure SSD volume verses a SSD cached Mechanical Voluime.

For the most part this nas will be used to host backups and to run containers - backups were going to a Synology DS1512+ (3 3tb HDs raid 5 with 2 256mb SSDs as a cache) - So for backups I think regardless the speed will be faster on the new unit. but what I really care about is using the Asusstor to run containers.

Any help on how to move ADM to the SSDs or if I should just use the SSDs as a simple cache would be appreciated. At the moment it **IS** possible to start over as there is little on the new NAS. But if I can get it working without wiping and reloading that would be great.
orion

Post by orion »

No. As far as I know, you'll need to reinitialize NAS if you plan to change volume 1 to M.2 devices.

Based on your usage case, I think you should still keep HDDs as volume 1. You can setup cache onto M.2 devices. However cache benefits will depend on data access among many dockers.

You can still apply M.2 as volume 1 (reinitialize NAS). In this case, you can change docker volumes to other paths (for example, JDownloader output to the big volume 2). But it's kind of hassle to manage those.

Return to “[Official] For AS67xx Series”