the specified network name is no longer available

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

dlight69
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

the specified network name is no longer available

Post by dlight69 »

Hello,
I keep getting the above message after a few minutes transferring data to my new Asustor AS6510T. If I reboot everything and start again it works for about 10 mins then fails on this error message again. Any suggestions please?
ndl101

Re: the specified network name is no longer available

Post by ndl101 »

1. The "tips & tricks" forum is probably not the right location for a question
  2. what is giving this message?
    • Your pc? If so, which OS?
      • Are you beind a firewall?
      • Is there anti-virus running?
    • The NAS? If so, which OS version?
    • How are you transferring data? SCP, SAMBA, NFS, FTP?
    In other words, we need more information....

I made it long as I lacked the time to make it short.

---
Help to self-help:
How to ask (good) questions in a forum
---
General information
NAS: Lockerstor 4 (AS6604T)
dlight69

Post by dlight69 »

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum but thanks for responding anyway. I'm transfering via a PC using OS Win10, Yes to Firewall (Windows defender), no to antivirus. NAS is Asustor 6510T with 10x 14TB SAT 3.5" disks. The message referred to is when transferring through windows explorer between mapped drives eg Asustor = P= 192.168.2.100 and q = 192.168.2.101. Basically P drive = Asustor stops responding after a few mins/ about1GB of data transfer. Similar thing happens using FileZilla FTP - Asustor stops responding after a while. I also tried RSYNC and inbuilt ASUS backup/restore to effect files transfer but after a while Asustor just stops responding. So I've tried to restart Asustor, but it won't do a "soft" restart whether from the Asustor desktop app or from the command panel on the Asustor unit itself. So I have to switch it off and then restart it, whereupon it starts up again and will enable mapped drive and start transferring data until it seizes up again after a few minutes. Also "apps central" from the desktop just says" loading" before throwing an error. Basically, it looks like Asustor just stops responding generally after receiving a few MB of data. Overall free space is about 60% of volume i.e. 50TB used of about 114TB available. Thanks for any help which will avoid me having to reboot every few minutes, thus possibly causing damage to hard drives.
ndl101

Post by ndl101 »

No worries. It is a nice box, the NAS, by the way. So, this could be caused by so many different things and I am just spitballing here.
  • Which version of ADM are you running?
  • have you tried transferring data while the Windows Defender is disabled?
  • If ADM Defender -> Network Defender / Firewall are enabled/configure, have you tried disabling them while transferring data?
  • have you checked the filesystem and disks recently? (I have seen file transfers and operating systems get stuck when hitting bad blocks)
  • which filesystem are you using?
  • try monitoring logs the while transferring data by e.g. do doing a "tail -f /var/log/messages" while SSH'ed into the NAS (same for other relevant logs depending on protocol. rsync, ftp, etc.)
  • anything odd in the output from dmesg?
  • static/dynamic IP on the NAS? ahave checked that there are not IP conflicts on the network?
  • are your PC and the NAS on the same subnet?
  • have you tried changing ethernet cables in between?
  • any network devices in between which could cause this?
  • does this happen regardless of which NIC you are using on the NAS (or are you using all of them)?
  • how about system metrics such as CPU/RAM usage, disk/network IO, temperatures in general, anything odd there?

---
Help to self-help:
---
General information
dlight69

Post by dlight69 »

Some great suggestions here, I will work my way through them and see if any of them throw some light on the underlying issue. Thanks so much - greatly appreciated.
dlight69

Post by dlight69 »

Hi again,

Using SSH I've uploaded a copy of the log file from where the latest transfer hung up. Does this tell us anything?
Thanks for any assistance again
Attachments
Log screen print from frozen point
Log screen print from frozen point
asustor_log_20210802.JPG (406.09 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
orion

Post by orion »

mm... I'll recommend you to report this issue to asustor directly: https://support.asustor.com/. The log that you attached is precious. It's better to save the whole log and send to asustor.
ndl101

Post by ndl101 »

dlight69 wrote: ... log file from where the latest transfer hung up. Does this tell us anything?
Doing a little (and very shallow) digging, it looks like a "common" issue in the 4.x version of the kernel and often connected to Btrfs but I might be connecting unrelated things.
orion wrote:... The log that you attached is precious. It's better to save the whole log and send to asustor.
I agree. You definitely should make a support ticket about this.

---
Help to self-help:
---
General information

Return to “Tips & Tricks”