Rsync server not listing all folders

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

thegnag
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Rsync server not listing all folders

Post by thegnag »

Hi!

I want to configure my ASUSTOR NAS to act as an Rsync server and letting an off-site client pull backups from the NAS. I have enabled the Rsync Server on the ASUSTOR NAS but I can't find all local folders when I try to add a backup module.

Locally I have the folder structure:
Home/
 Media/
  Documents
  Music
  Pictures
  etc.

But I can't find the "Home" directory when I am prompted to select a folder for backup module (see picture at bottom). My goal is to let Home/Media/Pictures be remotely pulled from the external Rsync client.

Am I not allowed to expose my Home/Media/* -folders like I planned or have I missed something in my setup somehow?

Perhaps there is another easier way of achieving my backup-goal that I'm missing?

====
Extra information:
I plan to put my external client at a friends house and therefore I don't want to have to open ports in his router. I can't rely on their IP address to not change either. My network is DynDNS configured, hence my idea of "client pulls from the ASUSTOR NAS" -solution.
asustor_help.JPG
asustor_help.JPG (185.22 KiB) Viewed 2941 times
orion

Re: Rsync server not listing all folders

Post by orion »

You can enable "User Homes" share under ADM web -> Access Control. Note: Un-check "Disable this file access..."!! It will allow admin or users in admin group to access this share. Other users cannot access this share. After that, you can see ALL user homes in this share.
thegnag

Post by thegnag »

Thank you! I will try it out later this week!
thegnag

Post by thegnag »

Ok, I tried it out immediately. However, I can not find the settings according to your instructions. Should the options be somewhere in one of these two locations? (see pictures)
forum2.png
forum2.png (99 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
forum3.png
forum3.png (74.86 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Thanks
orion

Post by orion »

The 3rd item "User Homes", select it and press "Edit". Then you'll see the option "Disable this file access...".
thegnag

Post by thegnag »

Ah now I understand! That did the trick. Thank you for the help, kind stranger! :D

Return to “NAS Utilities”