Issues with Looks Good Library

LooksGood's concise and refined interface guides you with two major functions. Media Explorer allows you to browse through and search for multimedia files on your NAS using a familiar directory structure, making everything intuitive and easy.TV recordings allow you to view files that appear as thumbnails with file names, allowing you to easily find the programs that you want to view with just one glance. Clicking on programs will allow you to instantly play high definition programs via your Web browser!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

steve6443
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Issues with Looks Good Library

Post by steve6443 »

I am using an AS5304T, just set up a couple of days ago. I set up Looks Good using my named account which has administrator rights and it's working fine, my films are being updated etc. However I then wanted to set up a secondary account for my children to access the videos because if I give them my password, then with access to everything, who knows what they will do. At first I set them up as standard users, allowing them access to the video folders and the Looks Good app. When they log in, they see the below:
Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 00.31.28.png
Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 00.31.28.png (76.71 KiB) Viewed 6852 times
So they don't have anything showing in the library.

I then gave them administrator access - again, the same appears. If I check the library settings, they are pointing to the correct file locations. If I log off and log on using my user ID, everything is fine. I can log on with the admin ID - all is correct. But if I now create a new user, that user cannot access any media I have on the NAS, irrespective of whether I create them as admin or as user and grant the correct rights.

Anybody have any ideas how I can share my Looks Good with my kids without granting them admin rights? Will I have to give them my user credentials as a plain user with restricted rights and create a new admin for myself or how would I resolve this?
orion

Re: Issues with Looks Good Library

Post by orion »

You can create a library for kid's account (using admin account to manipulate it). Select the folders that you want to share and grant kid's account to view / edit the library.
After that, kid's account can select the library to view those videos.
steve6443

Post by steve6443 »

Thanks, I haven't seen that opportunity yet, I'll check it out.

I eventually resolved the issue by logging in as me, clicking on the padlocks beside the locations and then clicking on the folders; even though they could be ticked / unticked by other administrators - I gave my kids account temporary admin status to see if that helped Looks Good - they didn't have access. Only when I myself was accessing the padlock in Looks Good could I get the ticks in BLUE which then allowed access.....

By the way, how come Looks Good cannot handle audio inside MKV files whilst (eg) Plex can? This I should quantify - if I use AiVideo I can stream mkv files but if I use the streaming via web, no audio.....
orion

Post by orion »

steve6443 wrote: By the way, how come Looks Good cannot handle audio inside MKV files whilst (eg) Plex can? This I should quantify - if I use AiVideo I can stream mkv files but if I use the streaming via web, no audio.....
As far as I know, it's related to audio encoding methods. If audio is encoded by Dolby or DTS ways, AiVideo will not play. It seems that software should pay license fee to enable this function. But AiVideo is free...
steve6443

Post by steve6443 »

I think you might have muisunderstood me - if I use AiVideo App to stream to my mobile Phone, I can watch all the mkv videos with audio whereas using the web page version of Looks Good - log into NAS, open LooksGood - I can see the video but not hear the audio..... If it's down to licence limitations, perhaps they should offer a paid version which will support that.

PS: Plex is also free, I'm not using the Flex Pass but it works. However I do like the way that LooksGood organises things.....episodes, known or unknown shows etc....
orion

Post by orion »

Oops, type error. I mean LooksGood is free.
And, yes, AiVideo is free too. However, it launches other codec engine, (MX codec or something) to play movies. AiVideo does not do decode jobs. Anyway, I think you can send a request to asustor directly for this pay feature idea.

Return to “LooksGood”