Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

justtrippin
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Post by justtrippin »

I currently have 3 drives I want to set up raid 5, 2-14tb and 1-4tb. I am going to get one more 14tb drive in a few months but wanted to get started setting up the NAS as plex media server. I know that the current set up would be based on the smallest drive so I would have a capacity of 8 tb with the current three drives. My question is when I change out the one 4tb drive to a 14tb drive does the system give me an option to only switch that drive or do I have to pull the current 14tb drives and reinsert them one by one in this upgrade process as well? The examples given in asustor documentation NAS 352 do not show or give that much detail and it appears you would have to switch all 3 drives in the raid 5 config. My NAS model is an AS5304T-EAO1 running ADM 3.5.2.rag2.
orion

Re: Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Post by orion »

You'll need to replace one disk first (don't shutdown) and wait for synchronization. After done, replace another one. Repeat it till you replace all 3 disks. As you see, it should take long time. After done, go to ADM web page to expand the volume size.
ckpeng@econ-av.com

Re: Raid 5 upgrading one drive procedure

Post by ckpeng@econ-av.com »

Hi , i have a asustor 7010 with 6 x 8 TB under RAID 5 , but now the drive 6 failed and become incessible .
1) able to power up and web login.
2) only can see the folder , but cant access into the folder.
3) it show total space = zero and free space also = zero.

May i ask how to recover it and must use the same brand and size of the failed HDD ? as the HDD already 3 yrs old , may not able to get the same HDD from seagate .

Thanks in advavce for any help .

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”