Bluetooth Dongle - K600 Logitech Keyboard Bluetooth

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

ozphoto
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Bluetooth Dongle - K600 Logitech Keyboard Bluetooth

Post by ozphoto »

I purchased a IOGear Bluetooth usb adapter hoping to use it with my logitech K600 keyboard on my TV but it will not connect. The AS5304T sees the adapter and when I search the K600 keyboard comes up but never connects, it says failed to connect. I tried the adapter on a laptop and the K600 keyboard and it works. The Bluetooth adapter is one of the ones recommended Bluetooth 4.0 GBU521W6

Not sure what else I can do?
orion

Re: Bluetooth Dongle - K600 Logitech Keyboard Bluetooth

Post by orion »

Not sure if it's the same between GBU521W6 and GBU521. I think you should report this issue to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/
ozphoto

Post by ozphoto »

I did report this and they asked me if I had another bluetooth keyboard which I dont, I know it works on a laptop with the K600 so it should work on the NAS
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

https://www.iogear.com/product/GBU521W6/
Note: The difference between the product model #GBU521 and the model #GBU521W6 is that the GBU521W6 comes with multi-language instructions.
The GBU521 has a broadcom chip not sure about the W6 even iogear claims as above.

Ssh into the NAS then check the dmesg for the chip and features, dmesg|grep -i bluetooth:

Code: Select all

[    6.844808] usb 1-2.1.3: Product: BCM20702A0
[   31.090171] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: chip id63
[   31.096155] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: features 0x07
[   31.122179] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM20702A1 (001.002.014) build 0000
[   31.129628] bluetooth hci0: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd failed with error -2
[   31.140595] Bluetooth: hci0: BCM: Patch brcm/BCM20702A1-0a5c-21e8.hcd not found
IIRC the K600 comes with a dongle, you may have better luck using with it as I did with my K400.

Edit: As a side note, Asustor is very choosy when it comes to bluetooth. I had to patch, recompile the kernel bluetooth module then repack into the initramfs to make a few other dongles to work.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ozphoto

Post by ozphoto »

Beyond my capabilities for sure, I just need the bluetooth to work, if there is another keyboard with trackpad that will work I guess I need to buy one perhaps someone can suggest one and the dongle used?

One other question should there be a pairing code when you try to connect or just click the connect button on the nas?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

The K600 comes with a wireless USB dongle, that doesn't work?

No codes involved, just put the device into pairing mode then connect from the NAS. It could be the GBU521W6 model has a different chipset which is not supported even by native linux especially a fake CSR chipset, hence the need to patch. I have the GBU521 no issue connecting to two gamepads and bluetooth audio all at once.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
ozphoto

Post by ozphoto »

No the NAS does not even see the wifi dongle that came with the K600 keyboard however it works fine on the TV. I also purchased an Asus one with BLE I guess thats the (low energy) one and again the NAS sees it but wont connect.

I did confirm with Logitech that the K600 does work with a non Logitech Bluetooth dongle as long as it is BLE.

I would assume their is no pairing code to input and that you just use the connect feature under the external devices menu?
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

No the NAS does not even see the wifi dongle that came with the K600 keyboard however it works fine on the TV.
The K600 dongle, correct me if I'm wrong, is a Logitech Unifying Receiver and it doesn't work like an ordinary bluetooth dongle. It doesn't support any other devices except Logitech's modern peripherals. The NAS not supposed to show this K600 dongle in the external device list but it's to be detected internally in the NAS (check dmesg) and you would just pair it normally with the K600 keyboard. As said previously I have the K400, it comes with this particular dongle. It doesn't show in the ADM external device list except in dmesg but I can use the keyboard just fine with the NAS. I'm also using a no brand air remote keyboard that comes with its dongle but not shown in the ADM external device list, only in dmesg. They all work fine in e.g. Asustor Portal and Linux Center.
I would assume their is no pairing code to input and that you just use the connect feature under the external devices menu?
Yup, no codes, use the connect feature after putting the device in pairing mode. I've also tested some other 4.2/5.0 BLE bluetooth dongles but unfortunately they only work after patching but still no codes involved while pairing. To be clear, only my GBU521 works out of the box without patching.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

ozphoto

Post by ozphoto »

The GBU521W6 is identical to the GBU521 so I have order up a small Bluetooth keyboard to see what happens if not then Asustor needs to come up with a fix
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

I hope they can help you with your support request but as seen in the past, good luck, Asustor will never fix codes, in this case for a chipset that's not supported even by native linux. Not long ago, I've even requested them to include an officially supported firmware to the kernel and initramfs which wasn't included but no news till now so I did it myself.

Identical doesn't means the same, you have not tried checking the chipset and features like I mentioned previously. So there's this much I can help, we're ordinary folks here who doesn't work for Asustor.
Internal:
External 5 Bay USB3:

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”