How to use external HDD for storage through the NAS?

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

cj_euler
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to use external HDD for storage through the NAS?

Post by cj_euler »

In the past I have hooked some external hard drive to a PC that is on 24 hours a day to use as extra storage.

Once I have the AS7004T-i5, is it true that I can just plug any external hard drive to the back of the NAS, and then use the ShareName "USB3" when I look at the ASUStor connected by SMB or AFP?

And basically, it is the same as before like using a PC, except this time, it is through the NAS?

Is it true that I can't directly see how much free space on a Macbook for that HDD, but need to go to https://192.168.1.xxx:8001/portal/ and look at it there?

Right now I have used EXT4 as the format (as formatted by the "External Devices" app inside of https://192.168.1.xxx:8001/portal/ ), but it looks like it could be equally good using NTFS or HFS+ ? Is using one better than the other? Thanks.

P.S. one concern I have is, if I unplug that drive and use it on a Macbook, it seems the Mac has to install Ext4fuse to be able to read it? (but not write to it)
orion

Re: How to use external HDD for storage through the NAS?

Post by orion »

When you inserted a USB disk to NAS, NAS should mount this device onto a USB? (a number) shared folder automatically. You can setup access rights in the same way as normal shared folder.

I don't own a macbook. But I think you should be able to see the free space when mounted a shared folder. What's the error you got?
cj_euler

Post by cj_euler »

> But I think you should be able to see the free space when mounted a shared folder. What's the error you got?

I only see the ShareNames, such as Public, USB3... even if I right click on them, there is no "info" or "properties" for seeing free space.
orion

Post by orion »

OK. But I cannot try it here. Normally smb protocol should be able to get disk free space info. Could this be caused by Mac OS itself? I'm not sure if you can get this info through command "df". You may try it. Maybe, someone here can share the other ways...
sweety145

Post by sweety145 »

Thank you so much for the information which is the better information for this forums who can will be greatful for all the people with all the continues welll

Return to “[Official] For AS70XX Series”