Warning: Don't install Firefox 80.0.1.r1

Mozilla Firefox (known simply as Firefox) is a free and open-source[17] web browser developed for Windows, OS X, and Linux, with a mobile version for Android, by the Mozilla Foundation and its subsidiary, the Mozilla Corporation. Firefox uses the Gecko layout engine to render web pages, which implements current and anticipated web standards.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AS6404T user
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Warning: Don't install Firefox 80.0.1.r1

Post by AS6404T user »

I just updated to Firefox 80.0.1.r1 (the latest release from September 8) and ran into two problems:

1. It installs the Chinese language version. I guess the default language can be changed in the preferences, but it is hard to find if you cannot read Chinese.

2. My profile with all bookmarks, extensions and preferences was wiped.

People who use Firefox are therefore well-advised to skip this update.
geoff511

Re: Warning: Don't install Firefox 80.0.1.r1

Post by geoff511 »

Once again the clowns at Asustor have released an update without testing it. :?:

For those who, like me, opened it and now can't find a way to close it - here are some simple steps. (rather than turning Firefox off and restarting)
(You may be able to Ctrl+Q to quit, but my hand held keyboard doesn't have that capability. So had to add menu bar 1st)

Add Menu Bar -
- Right Click on the Home Icon (looks like little house top left hand corner)
- Select #### (M)

To Exit Firefox -
- Select 1st column of menu bar #### (F)
- Bottom Item ####(Q)
- Right button in box that appears.

Hope it helps. :D
-------------
If anyone knows how to change the default language of this Firefox installation to the system language, it would be very appreciated.
orion

Post by orion »

I cannot install this package because my NAS is 32-bit CPU. ;) I would suggest you to send a notification to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/
geoff511

Post by geoff511 »

I did contact them, and this is the reply -

"Thanks for contacting us.
For the issue mentioned, we do find there is language display issue with our last portal app firefox release.
The issue was reported to our engineer team and they are doing their best to repair it.
It will be fixed in our future software update.
My apology for the inconvenience."

So all we can do now is wait. :|
geoff511

Post by geoff511 »

New update was just installed - and - drum roll -------- it seems to work fine :D

Plus if you use have a Firefox Sync account - it will sync and install add-ons and bookmarks etc. ;)
Fogg

Post by Fogg »

Same problem here. Latest version of Firefox (80.0.1.r3)

I looked at some forums about configuration of Firefox. Apparently it is possible to configure some profiles.
First I had to find the directory where Firefox is installed.
You can access it through 2 differents paths

/volume1/.@plugins/AppCentral/firefox
/usr/local/AppCentral/firefox

In this directory you have the normal directory tree of firefox, including hidden .mozilla
the user profiles are stored into subdirectories of .mozilla/firefox

I added some preferences in newly created user.js files in each profile but with no success
what I added: 2 lines of code

user_pref("intl.locale.requested","en-US");
user_pref("intl.accept_languages","en-US");

following what I found in firefox forums, the second line should force English as language.
but with no success

Does someone have an idea how to make it work ?
Thx
Fogg

Post by Fogg »

ok first of all I checked the installed languages and I have en_GB and not en_US so I changed this value in the files.
no luck with this.

from the last answer from Asustor support, they recommended to uninstall Firefox and install it again.
when you uninstall Firefox, you get a popup saying that Asustor Portal will be uninstalled too ( and all other apps using Firefox ) so I doubted
but as I need a solution, I tried this one

- remove Amazon Prime app
- remove Firefox ( it removes also other related apps including Portal )
- install again Firefox
- install again Asustor Portal
- install again Amazon Prime

Indeed now the language problem is fixed. Not sure how it is possible but it works.

Return to “Firefox”