AS5202T Nimbustor 2 issue with hd temps and/or noisy fan

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Mikam_AT
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS5202T Nimbustor 2 issue with hd temps and/or noisy fan

Post by Mikam_AT »

Hi,

I have both the AS5202T and an older Synology DS218 Play. In both devices I use currently WD while wd100EFAZ disks (10TB). While the Synology eaily keeps the temperatrure at 38 degrees I need to run the fan in AS5202T at least with medium speed to avoid HD temps of over 50 degrees /the DS218 Play has a bigger fan and also a better air flow design as in Asustor half of the fan is blocked by the connector board for the hard disks). The fan gets quite noisy if it runs on speed higher than with low setting. Since there are not many good 70mm fans available (at least I did not find them yet) with 4 pin connector I was wondering if I could cuse such a 70mm to 120mm fan adapter at the back side of the case to be able to install 120mm silent wings fan for example which should provide a much higher air flow on low noise level. Does someone have experience with this or do I have the only noisy fan in that 5202t unit? Also I was wondering where I can get the pin layout for the fan connector as it seems not to be a standard 4 pin PWM connector. Does someone have this information available?

Or are the any other suggestions on how to reduce the hd heat in the AS5202T? I have to admit that at current the room temperature in my office where both devices are located is approx 27 degrees during day time which might lead to those higher hd temps.

Thanks,
Mika
orion

Re: AS5202T Nimbustor 2 issue with hd temps and/or noisy fan

Post by orion »

You can try the solution provided by sksbir. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=8948
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

I have the solution from sksbir in place and it controls the fan speed really flexible but with the original fan it is still quite noisy when trying to keep the HD temps at around 40 degrees. On lowest rpms the fan is OK but once the speed is increased it becomes quite loud. Not sure if IO managed to get a device with a bad fan. What are your experiences with the hdd temps in this device?
orion

Post by orion »

I prefer quiet much more than temperature factor. I actually don't care about HDD temperature in case that the temperature is under HDD spec requirement. So I set to auto which is quiet enough for me (Oh, my NAS is a 4-bay model which equips 12cm FAN). And I believe HDD temperature is dependent on HDD model. When I setup a continuous busy task, it could be 5x (54 or something).

Your model is 2-bay model which FAN is smaller. Noise level is poorer than my 4-bay model.
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

The Synology DS218Play is also a 2 bay NAS with a slightly bigger fan (and even that I did replace with a Noctua model). I think the issue with the 5202t is that it has only 70mm fan and that inside just in froint of the fan the backplate with the connectors for both HDDs block more that 50 % of the fan. Therefore my approach is to use a 120mm fan to have an increased air flow with lower noise. Should have gone for the 4 bay model as well with all this experience made so far. But apart from the bad / noisy cooling this NAS is really great.
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

OK, first try with a 120mm fan, temps are a bit lower but still too loud. Next try will be to use a better fan (this is an older Coolermaster which I replaced in my PC because of the noise) and will also check how it behaves when pushing the air into the NAS.

What I already realized is that when the front cover is attached the temps will rise by approx. 3-4 degrees.
orion

Post by orion »

Mikam_AT wrote:OK, first try with a 120mm fan, temps are a bit lower but still too loud.
WOW! It's amazing. You can put 120mm FAN into a 2-bay case!!
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

Not exactly in the case :)

I have attached such a fan converter/adapter from 70mm to 120mm at the backside of the case and installed the 120mm fan on this one. Unfortunately one of the network connectors and one of the USB3 connectors are now blocked and it gained almost 7cm in depth size, in order to use the second network adapter I had to modify the converter a bit.But there seems to be really no decent 70mm fan from Noctua, Bequiet etc. which could be used as replacement for the factory fan.

But even with the current fan (Enermax Masterfan), which is on higher speed quite noisy, I can run the fan on medium speed, you almost don't hear it and the disks remain at max. 40 degrees. But once I attach the front cover they go up to at least 44 degrees.

Now with a Noctua NF-P12 redux 1300 PWM in place I keep the disks at 38 degrees when idle and in mid 40 when being used for longer time. And I can only hear the air stream but almost no fan (I'm sitting approx. 1m away from the NAS as it is located in my tine home office room). But I need to keep the front cover off, otherwise the average temps are around 4-5 degrees higher.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”