Slow transfer Speeds

New to the forum? Introduce yourself, chit chat and chew the fat.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

xux24
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Slow transfer Speeds

Post by xux24 »

Hi I just recently bought an Asustor Nas because I wanted to have a good Nas for my media. This is my first one and I ended up getting the AS5202T-C7AD. I used the two network cables that were provided and connected them both directly into my Router an Asus RT-AX88U. Everytime I try to transfer some files from the PC ths is in the same lan it has a top speed of 11.5 mb/ second and as far as I understand speeds on LAN should be way better then that. I checked the manual if I missed something but it doesn't say anything in specific. I tried with one ethernet cable plugged in and it's the same, I even tried link aggregation (that I particularly don't understand a lot what are the pros or cons of all of the different types) I tried a bunch to see if the speed will merge but nothing, with or without it it's the same speed. I even tried downloading something from the download center and it does it really slow nothing that matches muy current download speed. I hope someone here have an opinion on what might be causing my problems that basically render the Nas for me unusable because everything I try to stream ends up buffering a lot like of the transfer speed is limited by something.
orion

Re: Slow transfer Speeds

Post by orion »

Do you mean both NAS and PC are connected to RT-AX88U (giga bit)? 11.5 mega-bit/sec is much too low. It should be actually actually near to 1 giga bit / sec (depends on NAS HDD and PC's HDD). I think you should check link speed on both NAS and PC, giga-bit connection. The problem sounds like that link speed is only 10 mega-bit.

I don't think you need link aggregation. You can consider this feature if there are many users accessing NAS at the same time, or if your PC equips multiple network ports with link aggregation mode. Otherwise, you should use only one giga bit port on NAS.
xux24

Post by xux24 »

how exactly do you check link speed? i have usually my pc on a switch and both network cables that are plugged into the nas are on the router, i tried connecting the pc directly into the router and still i get the same low speeds. it do seems like something is limiting my speeds but i dont know where to look if there is some setting that i need to change on my router or the nas? i also tried with a different network cable and i had the same speeds so the cables shouldn't be the problem.
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

REMOVE one network cable between router and NAS.

Use ONLY ONE (1) network cable between router and NAS.

DO NOT use both NAS network ports, select one and use that one only.

RESTART both NAS and router before doing any more speed testing. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. DO NOT FAIL TO RESTART THE ROUTER.

SPEED TEST: COPY one big file (more than 1GB) from your computer to the NAS. DO NOT COPY a folder with many small files, only copy ONE LARGE FILE.

Is the NAS doing something else during the speed test? Like synchronizing a new RAID array? Make sure any array on the NAS is already synchronized and healthy before any speed testing.

Post full NAS array configuration, detailed NAS network configuration (screenshot), Router and NAS restart procedures and speed test results here.
orion

Post by orion »

xux24 wrote:how exactly do you check link speed?
There are many ways. One simple way is to check the LED color on your switch ports (read the switch manual to know the color definition). Or you can check PC and NAS connection speed under specific OS. NAS ADM web -> Settings -> Network. No information about your PC OS, you can simply google it.
xux24

Post by xux24 »

sorry for taking too long to answer back i was really busy this past week. i think this is the info you asked
Attachments
test2.jpg
test2.jpg (67.72 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
test 5.jpg
test 5.jpg (72.59 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
test 4.jpg
test 4.jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
test 3.jpg
test 3.jpg (47.39 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
test1.jpg
test1.jpg (176.04 KiB) Viewed 6251 times
orion

Post by orion »

NAS is in 1G link speed. However PC speed is unknown. You should double-click network icon under Windows. That can show you PC link speed.
xux24

Post by xux24 »

yeah it was the pc, it was older than i remembered it had a 100 instead of a 1000 network card, i had to get a new one and it worked great thanks everyone for the input.
Christopher Mead

Post by Christopher Mead »

Antonios wrote:REMOVE one network cable between router and NAS.

Use ONLY ONE (1) network cable between router and NAS.

DO NOT use both NAS network ports, select one and use that one only.

RESTART both NAS and router before doing any more speed testing. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. DO NOT FAIL TO RESTART THE ROUTER.

SPEED TEST: COPY one big file (more than 1GB) from your computer to the NAS. DO NOT COPY a folder with many small files, only copy ONE LARGE FILE.

Is the NAS doing something else during the speed test? Like synchronizing a new RAID array? Make sure any array on the NAS is already synchronized and healthy before any speed testing.

Post full NAS array configuration, detailed NAS network configuration (screenshot), Router and NAS restart procedures and speed test results here.

Antonios! Bless you, mate. My transfer speeds have been in the kb/s range for months now & I was absolutely at my wit's end trying to figure out what the problem was. I would NEVER have figured that out since I had no reason to suspect anything wrong with the config and diagnostics saying it was fine. Still don't exactly know why it works but it most certainly did - so I wanted to say thanks!

Return to “Meet and Greet”