VPN Server Connected But Too Slow

ASUSTOR's VPN service brings businesses a truly effective solution.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

mariokings
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

VPN Server Connected But Too Slow

Post by mariokings »

Hello everyone,

I have a ASUSTOR AS6404T and althought I successfully connected via VPN to NAS server I can't do absolutely nothing with it.
It takes a lot of time to open just a single picture or a file less than 100kb.
I bought this having in mind being able to access it, listen to music and watch some movies, but it's impossible like this.
I know that my home network is not a problem at all so can anyone tell me why doesn't this work properly?
Please tell me a possible solution to solve or improve this situation.

Thank you in advance.
orion

Re: VPN Server Connected But Too Slow

Post by orion »

There are many possible cases.
Do you mean the speed on LAN is fine (based on the statement: "my home network is not a problem at all")? If yes, you should check your VPN speed.
mariokings

Post by mariokings »

I believe so, LAN's MTU is set at 1500 (I don't know if it's low or not).
Regarding VPN speed I have followed the configurations so both MTU and MRU I set at 1400. Do you thing I should change it?
orion

Post by orion »

MTU is just a parameter. I wonder it's the problem. LAN MTU is normally 1500 if your home gateway is a normal device.
I don't know the settings about your VPN. You should discuss with your VPN provider.
mariokings

Post by mariokings »

My VPN Provider is ASUSTOR and I just followed de instructions of "Enabling and configuring PPTP connections" available here: https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=323
orion

Post by orion »

Oops, I might mislead to a wrong point...
What's your internet connection speed? That might be key point. I think you can compare the differences between:
1. PC client (outside your home) transfer a big file to/from your NAS when VPN disabled.
2. PC VPN client (outside your home) transfer a big file to/from your NAS when VPN enabled.

Return to “VPN Server”