USB A to HDMI adpater to install debian on AS1002t v2

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Skittlesvampir
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

USB A to HDMI adpater to install debian on AS1002t v2

Post by Skittlesvampir »

I have an AS1002t v2 and I want to install debian on it. It has no hdmi port so I want to know if it's possible to use an USB A to HDMI adapter to access the bios and install debian afterwards.
father.mande

Re: USB A to HDMI adpater to install debian on AS1002t v2

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
Skittlesvampir wrote:I have an AS1002t v2 and I want to install debian on it. It has no hdmi port so I want to know if it's possible to use an USB A to HDMI adapter to access the bios and install debian afterwards.
Interesting problem ...
As I know it's not easy to impossible ...
... AS1002T don't have a BIOS it's a boot directly from an inside flash memory disk (I don't have try yet to get content) U_Boot as some .dtb file exist for this model
... AS1002T have kernel (zimage) / initramfs / .dtb / etc. file for A.D.M. install in the first not mounted partition of the disk (/dev/sda1 ext2 Linux partition)
... ... BUT is it a copy or a place for an U_Boot update of the flash drive ??? at this time I don't know
... kernel must have the display driver require to get access to the USB-HDMI screen and boot command line must be adapted.
... ... this imply to be able to replace the existing kernel / initramfs used from the flash drive in the first partition of the disk ... or in flash
... I think a better approach can be to generate kernel for net_install ... so no need at first step to have HDMI screen ... just network ... then after, generate your new kernel with the USB-HDMI display driver
... if U_Boot from flash accept to boot the non A.D.M. kernel and if it's able to update the kernel ???? (always problem with unknown ARM server here Armada-380 family)

So you have an hard job in front of you ... but you can get help from the Debian Arm integration team ... perhaps with some specific solution (including kernel source change) as for some other NAS brand but as I know stopped to Marvell Kirkwood Arm series ... not going to armv7l ... but I don't work on it from a long time.

Another solution, if it's only for some application is to run a chroot ... with your preferred Debian or Ubuntu and why not adding Xorg and for ex. Vnc server as an inetd service to connect you with desktop, etc.
for ex. Domoticz 2020 on AS1002T run in an Ubuntu focal 20.04 L.T.S. on AS1002T.

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”