Expansion unit for AS1002T

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

sandro_rocha
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Expansion unit for AS1002T

Post by sandro_rocha »

Good Morning. Is there an expansion unit compatible with the AS1002T? I use it as a media server but I want to centralize all documents. Which brings me to the second question: the two NAS disks are in Single Volume; if it is possible to install an expansion unit with four bays, would it be possible to configure these four new disks to RAID 0 or RAID 1?
orion

Re: Expansion unit for AS1002T

Post by orion »

The expansion unit should be AS6004U which is USB interface https://www.asustor.com/en/product/AS6004U. However it can only work as separate volume, ex: volume2 in your case. And yes, it can be RAID-0, RAID-1 or others.
sandro_rocha

Post by sandro_rocha »

I did not understand. The two disks on the NAS are Volume 1 and Volume 2, configured as Single. In this case, can the four disks of the expansion unit be in RAID or must they be configured as Single as well?
orion

Post by orion »

OK, I thought you configure the internal disks as RAID-0 or RAID-1. If you configure as single disk mode, that volume1 and volume2. The expansion unit should be volume3, volume4... It means that you can set expansion unit as single disk mode, or RAID-0 or RAID-1 or RAID-5 or RAID-6. There are many combinations. For example:

RAID-0 with 4 disks -> volume3.
RAID-0 with 2 disks and RAID-1 with 2 disks -> volume3 and volume4.
RAID-5 with 4 disks -> volume3.
Single with 1 disk and RAID-5 with 3 disks -> volume3 and volume4.

You cannot expand volume1 by using the disks on expansion unit.
acdcking12

Post by acdcking12 »

Is this the case for any hardware NAS that uses the expansion hardware?
orion

Post by orion »

acdcking12 wrote:Is this the case for any hardware NAS that uses the expansion hardware?
No.
ninecats

Post by ninecats »

I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian
orion

Post by orion »

ninecats wrote:I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian
No, you cannot do that (RAID-5 to RAID-10). I guess you must misunderstand RAID-10 (it's not 5 + 5 = 10). Anyway, asustor only supports volume expansion in this way: https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=352
ninecats

Post by ninecats »

orion wrote:
ninecats wrote:I will borrow this thread for a question. I am currently running 3 x 4tb discs on a 1004v2 and I must say I am very happy with this NAS. I currently run RAID5 and is thinking of going up to 4 discs with RAID 10. Now, putting a fourth disc in the NAS will I automatically be able to choose RAID 10 after it's been activated (that's what happened when I went to RAID 5 IIRC)? Second question, if one disc fail, is it automatically going back to RAID 5 or any other order, like JBOD, in the mean time until I install a new fourth disc?

Best
Christian
No, you cannot do that (RAID-5 to RAID-10). I guess you must misunderstand RAID-10 (it's not 5 + 5 = 10). Anyway, asustor only supports volume expansion in this way: https://www.asustor.com/en-gb/online/Co ... ?topic=352
Thank you, that makes sense. Adding a fourth disk to a three disk RAID 5 solution would still be RAID 5 albeit four disks?

Well I am considering to move to RAID 10 when adding a final fourth disk, I guess I have to re initialize the disks and volymes completely before I can do that?
orion

Post by orion »

ninecats wrote: Thank you, that makes sense. Adding a fourth disk to a three disk RAID 5 solution would still be RAID 5 albeit four disks?

Well I am considering to move to RAID 10 when adding a final fourth disk, I guess I have to re initialize the disks and volymes completely before I can do that?
Yes, it will keep RAID-5 if you add the new disk into this volume.
Yes, you'll need to "destroy" the original volume. You should backup your data first externally. Then reinitialize NAS to set to RAID10.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”