HELP! Original drive is INACTIVE

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

zakspop
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

HELP! Original drive is INACTIVE

Post by zakspop »

My drive was getting bad sectors so I bought a replacement. I turned the NAS off, removed the original drive and installed a new drive. (only a single drive system). I got ADM up and running. Once done, I turned the NAS off and installed the original drive in the second bay and booted it back up. Now the original drive shows INACTIVE. So I turned it off and put it back like it was originally with my original drive only. Now it won't even boot with the original drive in it. WTF. The drive isn't dead, just a few bad sectors. Now I can't get to my data.
ilike2burnthing

Re: HELP! Original drive is INACTIVE

Post by ilike2burnthing »

You could try plugging it into your computer and see if your files are accessible, otherwise:

https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... using-a-pc
zakspop

Post by zakspop »

I tried that on a Mint Linux machine. The main part of the drive is seen as a RAID partition. The only part that is mountable has nothing usable. I have a ticket in with support but I thought maybe someone here might have a solution. Who knows how long tech support will take.
ilike2burnthing

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Tried searching 'raid 1 recovery linux' online? There are a tonne of results, but I have no idea what to suggest from them, I have next to no Linux experience.

Some data recovery software might be able to help, if trying it manually doesn't work, but again I'm limited to just Windows experiences there.
orion

Post by orion »

zakspop wrote:My drive was getting bad sectors so I bought a replacement. I turned the NAS off, removed the original drive and installed a new drive. (only a single drive system). I got ADM up and running. Once done, I turned the NAS off and installed the original drive in the second bay and booted it back up. Now the original drive shows INACTIVE...
What's your NAS model? If you are familiar with Linux commands, you can use "mdadm" and "mount" commands to let your data be ready. If no, I think you should wait for asustor's support.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”