Can AS5304T use 8GB RAM DIMM

Sijmen
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Can AS5304T use 8GB RAM DIMM

Post by Sijmen »

Hi,

I have an AS5304T and need to increase the RAM to its maximum amount, which I believe is 8GB.

From the Memory compatible device list, it indicates that the Crucial CT8G4SFS824A can be used, which is a single 8GB DIMM. Considering the NAS has 2 slots, does this mean the device can be upgraded to 16GB, or would I need to only install the 8GB DIMM and remove the current 4GB DIMM.

I just trying to confirm that a single 8GB Crucial CT8G4SFS824A memory model will work in the device.

Regards,
Sijmen.
ilike2burnthing

Re: Can AS5304T use 8GB RAM DIMM

Post by ilike2burnthing »

Officially supports up to 8GB, unofficially, 16GB works (see disclaimer in video):

Alternatively, just buy a 4GB stick that matches the one currently installed.
Sijmen

Post by Sijmen »

According to Intel, the processor can have a max of 8GB of ram, but there's a note which says it depends on the type. It doesn't elaborate further to say on the what the limits are for different types.

So from the video, clearly I can install 16GB, and clearly the NAS can see 16GB of memory, but is it actually able to use all 16GB, or does it max out at 8GB.

I'd like to test this, but being new to my AS5304T, don't know what's the easiest way to load up the RAM. Any simple ideas?

Regards,
Sijmen.
ilike2burnthing

Found an test where they got the J4105 up to 32GB, all working and accessible, though on different hardware - https://develmonk.com/2019/08/02/asrock ... ion-tests/

SPAN are still selling a 16GB version - https://www.span.com/product/Asustor-Ni ... 5GbE~70604

So it seems to just be some lazy forced product segmentation by Intel. Shocker...

As for the 'dependent on memory type' part, it's their default template for all CPU listings, and it's because some CPUs cross generations of RAM (e.g. supporting both DDR3 and DDR4, when put in the corresponding motherboard). The max size for most DDR3 sticks was 16GB (if we ignore Samsung performing magic and making 32GB sticks), whereas the max size for DDR4 is 64GB. So if you have 2 slots, your max is 128GB, but for DDR4 only. For the J4105, it doesn't make any difference.
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

Sijmen wrote:I'd like to test this, but being new to my AS5304T, don't know what's the easiest way to load up the RAM. Any simple ideas?

Regards,
Sijmen.
Yes it does about 15.4GB max balance is for shared memory like onboard GPU. Easiest way to test is to mount as tmpfs and fill it up with dd or use it as transcoding space for plex or jellyfin. Careful though this will cause swap trashing.

The large RAM is very useful. Mine using about 50% of the 16GB RAM running LEMP stack cache and jellyfin in chroot debian buster, x8 docker apps and ubuntu eoan desktop all these mounted on external ssd. Also disabled the swap and moved the Asustor logs/tmp to the RAM as tmpfs so basically the 4 slots are just for nightly backups sleeping most of the time.
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response
jauling

Post by jauling »

The Intel specs seem to suggest that this CPU can support up to 8GB memory per module.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html

This CPU can support up to two memory channels, so theoretically it should be able to do 16GB just fine. Not sure how 32GB works though, as it seems out of spec.
ilike2burnthing

Where is the per module part?
Mikam_AT

Post by Mikam_AT »

The same kind of memory upgrade was also successfully performed on earlier Celeron versions like in the Synology 218+ where Intel also mentioned the 8GB in the specs.
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Just to complete

ALL Jxxxx Intel used in NAS are limited by Intel to a MAX of 8 GB on 2 slots (2x4) if you want multi-channel mode or in a unique slot (8)
This limitation is due to the test done on Wafer ... with a smallest sample as NON Celeron series (reduce cost) / NON I.G.P. ... so to avoid problem Intel marketing & developer limit memory to a near 100% sure value.

CPU itself is able to use 16 GB with a max of 8 GB per channel BUT
... this can impact (or not) I.G.P. graphics performance and power consumption (more) so ALSO more HEAT produced (so limiting life of CPU and on NAS with a risk due to limited FAN provided).
... this require that BIOS will be able to support / detect and manage correctly (even supported) this extra memory ... seem good on NAS ... but
... require that O.S. AND application support it (sometimes it's necessary to hide some memory part (at limit of 8 GB before the last 8 GB)) 4.14.x is a good level

On NAS with a correct Kernel level and with a survey of power and heat ... it's possible to use 2x8 GB ... BUT in some case (some hard task (multimedia) at same time that hard CPU (and memory) applications) ... the NAS can crash.

For my own ... I have upgraded 3 NAS (2 diff. brands) with J1900 / J1800 /J4105 to 16 GB
... normal usage ... no problem
... VERY intensive usage ... stress mode ... (not I.G.P. (Graphics) .... some alarm based on CPU temp ... but nothing really dangerous
... VERY intensive graphics (multimedia) ... stress mode ... J1800 / J4105 just slow down for some period ... J1900 crash sometimes
BUT BUT REMEMBER it's different for each CPU of each series multiple J1900 can't have different experience one can run, one can crash one can be unstable in some circumstances.

SO YES don't hesitate to upgrade ... but have a look and in case of problem ... first search problem due to this memory upgrade BEFORE accusing the NAS or A.D.M. or Linux ...

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
MadPup

Post by MadPup »

I assume that most of us buy a NAS to provide reliable high-speed storage. While it's great that these NAS units can do a lot more than that, much of which will benefit from more RAM, why bother? I prefer to let my NAS do what it does best, and if I need other functionality I use a Raspberry Pi, or a Mini PC, or a HTPC, or whatever , in order to do the other stuff. That way I don't risk my data and I get to use devices that are best suited to each purpose.

Return to “[Official] For AS52xx/53xx/66xx Series”