Full Desktop Backup :?:

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

voxhel
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Full Desktop Backup :?:

Post by voxhel »

Hi,

This is my 1st post so forgive me if i'm not in the correct "place".

I have a AS6210T and I'm planning different jobs for dif purposes. For the moment I cannot seem to find how to make a "Full Desktop Backup" (ex: Windows 10 laptop) the idea is, in case of catastrophic failure of the HDD on the laptop I can recover full operation system to a new HDD. So Full Desktop Backup needs to include:

- C: Partition
- EFI System Partition
- Recovery Partition

How can I do this with Asustor Software?

Hope you can help.

Regards.

Hélder
AS6210T
ilike2burnthing

Re: Full Desktop Backup :?:

Post by ilike2burnthing »

What you need is called disk cloning, or disk imaging, software. You run that on your computer, save the image (say to an external hard drive), and then also make a copy on your NAS. You can't get the NAS to do it (or at least I don't know of any way).

There are plenty of free options which will cover everything you need. If you need specific recommendations then let me know.
orion

Post by orion »

I don't think you can achieve this purpose using Asustor software. Normally, you can try the following:
  • Backup all of your system using the built-in recovery software (Normally, it can be active in your BIOS menu). The data should be stored on to DVD or USB external disks.
  • You can backup the data on those DVDs or USB disks to NAS.
  • When you want to restore system, you'll need to copy the data back to DVDs or USB disks. Then, use your built-in recovery software (active in BIOS menu) to restore your system.
voxhel

Post by voxhel »

Hi,

I'm sorry, but supplying a high grade storage NAS, with software that cannot backup of the complete HDD does not make sense!

So what is "Asustor Backup Plan" software use for?

Another problem that I have encountered:

I'm have some errors during a "normal" backup o C drive, "error (32): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". What this means? Do I need to shutdown a restart, login into my desktop and not open any application, that uses a file, because if I want the file included in the backup process the "Asustor BAckup Plan" cannot read it at file level, so it does not get backed up!??! I'm using a Local Administrator account to run the soft.

Is it something i'm doing wrong?

Regards.

Hélder
AS6210T
ilike2burnthing

Again, I'm unaware of any NAS, from any manufacturer, that can create disk images of a separate device, so this is not unusual.

"Backup Plan is ASUSTOR’s free backup software for Windows OS. It can be used to backup data from a Windows PC or Server to specified destination devices including NAS, FTP server, or the local machine. Backup Plan supports one-time backups, scheduled backups and synchronization. If your original data should become damaged, destroyed or lost, Backup Plan also provides a convenient data restoration function."
https://www.asustor.com/en/online/Colle ... ?topic=253

Basically ABB can create plans to periodically backup specific files, folders or drives, but not in the way that you're looking for. It can be used to restore lost files, and it will maintain the folder structure. However, it cannot be used to, "recover full operation system to a new HDD," nor can it recover or restore partitions. Typically all you want to backup using ABB (or EZSync) are your user files (documents, pictures, music, videos, etc.), as backing up installed programs or the operating system is pointless - restoring them to a new drive will not work. The errors you're running into are unavoidable, as some programs will always be running.

So what you need is disk imaging software (as I said, free options are perfectly fine), and save a copy of the image to the NAS.
voxhel

Post by voxhel »

Hi,

Still, even not havng the capability to create disk images, why does a backup to windows 10 drive C: fail!? Running as local administrator.

## ERRORs##
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT]"
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalNetworkService\NTUSER.DAT]"
AS6210T
ilike2burnthing

1. If a file is being used by another process then it is being written to, so a backup cannot be made because the file is changing. It would be like taking a photograph of a half-done painting, you couldn't recreate the final painting, or even the next brush stroke, from that partial snapshot.

2. Stop backing up Windows files. The only purpose they will serve on your NAS is to waste space. Even if you could copy every file and then put them on a new drive, it wouldn't boot. It's a disk image or nothing. ABB/EZSync are meant for user files only.
orion

Post by orion »

voxhel wrote: ## ERRORs##
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT]"
"DriveC: (32) The process cannot access the fie because is being used by another process: [C:\windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalNetworkService\NTUSER.DAT]"
That's a known issue. It seems being a Windows native behavior (cannot backup).
voxhel

Post by voxhel »

orion wrote:
voxhel wrote: ## ERRORs##
That's a known issue. It seems being a Windows native behavior (cannot backup).
Hi,

this does not make sense, Asustor Backup Plan, does not support VSS, Volume Shadow Copies? This is the tech that can allow this!

This would allow the backup software to backup every file, even the ones being used, by applications or the system!

Also, does the " Asustor Backup Plan" ou the AS6210T "firmware" use Dedupliaction? This his the tech that would optimize space!

thks.

Hélder
AS6210T
orion

Post by orion »

voxhel wrote: this does not make sense, Asustor Backup Plan, does not support VSS, Volume Shadow Copies? This is the tech that can allow this!

This would allow the backup software to backup every file, even the ones being used, by applications or the system!
mm... You can actually google "Windows NTUSER.DAT". You'll find this Windows limitation (even in Microsoft forum). There is a tech / mode called: access exclusively.
voxhel wrote: Also, does the " Asustor Backup Plan" ou the AS6210T "firmware" use Dedupliaction? This his the tech that would optimize space!
Did you mean block level de-dup? No, the software does not support it.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”