How to schedule RAID 1 synchronize tasks?

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.
AS6404T user
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

How to schedule RAID 1 synchronize tasks?

Post by AS6404T user »

I have an AS6404T running ADM 3.4.4.RAT2 with 2 btrfs HDDs configured as one RAID 1 volume. At exactly 24 h (12 pm) each day the Storage Manager starts to synchronize the two disks, which is a rather noisy process. Is it possible to schedule this activity to some other time during the day?

You can schedule the Disk Doctor activities in the Storage Manager, but I have not found any way to schedule the synchronize tasks in the Storage Manager or elsewhere.
AS6404T user

Re: How to schedule RAID 1 synchronize tasks?

Post by AS6404T user »

Just to follow up, the process that goes berserk with the disks at midnight every day is called shsizerefresh. So I am looking for a way to tell shsizerefresh to do its stuff at some other time more convenient to me. I assume that midnight is a factory default that can be changed if you know how.
AS6404T user

Re: How to schedule RAID 1 synchronize tasks?

Post by AS6404T user »

It turned out that the culprit was the btrfs file system. I have now reformatted to ext4, and the NAS no longer goes berserk at midnight, even though the shsizerefresh process still does its job at midnight. Perhaps there is less need to move things around under ext4?

FWIW, it seems that the disk performance also is better under ext4. Under btrfs, streaming video would frequently pause while the NAS went berserk. I have not yet seen this happen after I switched to ext4.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”