Finder performance problems with Mac

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

basmeyer
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Finder performance problems with Mac

Post by basmeyer »

For Mac users, when you experience problems with the Finder like not being able to directly access your Asustor after booting up your client computer or not being able to see the Asustor NAS at all.
Also when you experience things like copying large folder structures taking up a long time.
This is applicable for 10.14 Mojave and possibly other MacOS versions.

Go to (username) ~/Library/Caches/CloudKit
Delete the CloudKitMetadata, CloudKitMetadata-shm, CloudKitMetadata-wal
Run Activity Monitor and kill/stop the process cloudd
Reboot
These caches will be rebuild automatically and cloudd will also restart

Remember to backup your files by all means (although this procedure is rather safe).
patrickjburt

Re: Finder performance problems with Mac

Post by patrickjburt »

Great, thanks. Forwarding it to my friend who's facing this problem. Hope it will help him out...
nathandev

Post by nathandev »

You can also use this command ~/Library/Caches/ to delete all the useless files.

Follow Instructions: Open --> Finder ---> click ---> Go to Folder write this command ~/Library/Caches/ hit ok and delete all those files to increase your storage.
patrickjburt

Post by patrickjburt »

Good work nethan, share such type of useful command with us more and more.
basmeyer

Post by basmeyer »

Replying to an older thread but still facing this issue...

I tried this but unfortunately to no reveil. When you boot up your Macs (or take them out of their standby mode after a day or night) it always takes up to something like 5 minutes to appear the NAS in Finder.
I am struggling with this for years and years now and tried a lot of different things and all sorts of Terminal commands to speed up this process, including the procedure described above.

I accepted this a one of the quirks that came with Asustor, although I do not have other NAS units of other brands to compare.
But from moment-to-moment it can be a real nuisance.

Another issue that I run into regularly is that when you click a folder on a freshly booted or awakened Mac it simply does not want open the subfolders and this can take up like up to a half a minute. I someone is not used to his it could give you the impression that all your precious content is gone.

I also did not feel a lot of Mac support in general from Asustor. It kind of works, but there are many things that would need attention. like a more simple way to clean the trash folders, reliable AFP-support and really proper support of Office applications for Mac.
I contacted Asustor support earlier about the problems in Office applications for Mac not being able to save files to the NAS and their excuse was that they were not able to test it because they did not want to invest in an Office for Mac license.

Well, overall we still like NAS and it does do a lot of other things really great and runs its own (ADM, not their iOS !!!) applications nice and powerful, and never ever lost any file or caused serious problems!
But I have no further experience with other brands so I cannot tell what I missed or just gained with Asutstor.
CPK

Post by CPK »

I've been struggling with very poor performance with Macs from day one with my Acustore. At one point, about ten months ago, I was so ticked off I disconnected the unit and let it sit doing nothing and went back to external drives in a RAID enclosure for my TimeMachine backups but am only able to connect it to one of my iMacs at a time. I was moving things around in my office and rediscovered this damn Acustrore NAS and thought I would check to see if with current firmware it was any better. No it isn't. I thought I'd look through the forms for any 'new' since I last looked advice and there really is next to nothing here for Mac users. I've started researching other brands of NAS for better Mac support, there are several out there and Googling for Best NAS for Mac will bring up some reviews of units made by companies that care a bit, or a lot, more that Asustek does about Mac users. Something I should have researched better before purchasing.
orion

Post by orion »

basmeyer wrote: When you boot up your Macs (or take them out of their standby mode after a day or night) it always takes up to something like 5 minutes to appear the NAS in Finder.
What's your procedure to connect to NAS? Can you share the details?

Return to “Tips & Tricks”