Best way to transfer TB from PC to 5304T (background)

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

kaosguy
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Best way to transfer TB from PC to 5304T (background)

Post by kaosguy »

I'm loading up my 5304T with more than 20 TB of content from my PC's hard drives.
I'm doing this by dragging folders from my PC to folders on my NAS volume (which I mapped to a PC drive) with Windows 10 Explorer.
I've done this a few times before and for whatever reason I have accidentally (or on purpose) interrupted the process.
So I have to start over.
I'm not asked about overwriting/skipping files when it finds some of the content already on the NAS volume, so I'm starting over from scratch.

Can someone suggest a way to do this that is...
1) As fast as possible.
2) Ideally in the background/will pick up from where it left off if interrupted.
3) Similar to 2, will not waste time copying over any files previously fully copied.

I don't care if this is a windows utility or an Asustor utility.

I imagine the Asustor Backup utility can do this, but I want a simple file transfer, not the creation of some kind of archive.

Thanks!
father.mande

Re: Best way to transfer TB from PC to 5304T (background)

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

I don't know if my own usage is acceptable for you and correspond to your case.
I use Syncthing
... require Syncthing on the two node (or all system / node impacted)
... totally in background and with restart after a boot but never redo the copy if already done
... you can split sync. by folder (for ex.) and have multiple nodes
... NO pivot node or database node, all is local / replicate to each machine
... two way simultaneously (except if you define one as master ... so only one way is used) in your case perhaps the PC if unique can be a master

BUT if I use it for TB (up to 8/10) never for a so large in one peer (20 TB)
ALSO Syncthing is very interesting if you want to transparently later have an auto update of your file on NAS from PC (change / new / delete (reported or not to NAS))

my opinion is that SMB (Windows share) is not the best solution (even you can if you have the hardware use aggregated Ethernet link ... ) for my own I prefer multiple FTP with resume function to use maximum bandwidth of my network.

I don't have miraculous solution ... so wait for other responses (or ask Asustor support team ?)

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
kaosguy

Post by kaosguy »

Thanks!
I'll look into Syncing.
FTP... wow, I haven't done that for 20 years, will have to look at setup and syntax.

Alan
orion

Post by orion »

You should try Asustor Backup Plan for Windows. It actually does delta copy (file base).
kaosguy

Post by kaosguy »

Thanks!
Nazar78

Post by Nazar78 »

You can also look into robocopy https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... s/robocopy

It's CLI based but with various options sort of rsync for Windows. I noticed that this is the fastest of all tools/methods I've used for selective file migrations as it can do multi-threading (too many threads will slow down normal network sharing operations). Depending on your transfer preference, there's also mirror option (use with caution).
AS5304T - 16GB DDR4 - ADM-OS modded on 2GB RAM
Internal:
- 4x10TB Toshiba RAID10 Ext4-Journal=Off
External 5 Bay USB3:
- 4x2TB Seagate modded RAID0 Btrfs-Compression
- 480GB Intel SSD for modded dm-cache (initramfs auto update patch) and Apps

When posting, consider checking the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" to get faster response

Return to “NAS Utilities”