Firefox problems in ASUSTOR Portal

Enjoy high definition brilliance with your NAS and ASUSTOR Portal

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AS6404T user
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Firefox problems in ASUSTOR Portal

Post by AS6404T user »

Not sure if this is an issue with Firefox, ASUSTOR Portal or both, but Firefox which is my preferred browser has several problems in ASUSTOR Portal:

1. There is no sound whatsoever. Chrome does have sound.

2. If you try to use the IR remote sound control buttons in Firefox, ASUSTOR Portal will switch to Chrome and then lock up completely by rotating rapidly between Chrome, Firefox and the portal. The only way to stop this is to reboot the NAS.

3. The top left button that takes you back to the portal in Chrome does nothing in Firefox. The only way to get out of Firefox is to quit the app from the menu.

The compulsory switch to Chrome when you try to use the sound control is particularly strange. Is the sound control hardcoded to (only) work with Chrome?
orion

Re: Firefox problems in ASUSTOR Portal

Post by orion »

I use Chrome, so I have no ideas about 1 and 2. But item-3 should be normal.
I think you can report these issues to asustor directly. https://support.asustor.com/
AS6404T user

Post by AS6404T user »

The sound problem was solved by the recent update of the X.Org package:

X.Org v10.14.8.R107:

- Add pulseaudio to support Firefox audio playback in ASUSTOR Portal.

Also ASUSTOR Portal and Firefox were updated:

ASUSTOR Portal v2.2.4.r1216

- Update to corresponding version to work with Xorg upgraded version.

Firefox v70.0.1.r6

- Update to v70.0.1 to support DRM content playback for Amazon Prime, Spotify and Netflix.

The remote top left button now brings up the "Close all tabs?" dialog in Firefox, as expected.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Sorry if this is considered a thread hijack but I too am having issues with Firefox - BIG issues.

I have used the VLC add in for Firefox on my pc to stream movies and it handles my MP4 files without converting to MP2 (which as I understand Looks Good requires).

I tried to install the VLC Plug in for Firefox in the Asustor Portal and all went downhill. The install asked I provide some unknown site with permission to change things - a non starter with me. I tried to quit normally but no go so I shut down. When I restarted Asustor Portal and went to Firefox all the script is in little boxes - like it's trying to render the site in a different (non-arabic) language. I tried to reinstall Firefox (no go) and tried to change the language preference (a challenge given the script) with no luck.

Now anytime I go into Firefox my only way out is to shut the NAS. If anyone can suggest a fix I would appreciate it.

Andy
AS6404T user

Post by AS6404T user »

AndyM wrote:Sorry if this is considered a thread hijack but I too am having issues with Firefox - BIG issues.

I have used the VLC add in for Firefox on my pc to stream movies and it handles my MP4 files without converting to MP2 (which as I understand Looks Good requires).

I tried to install the VLC Plug in for Firefox in the Asustor Portal and all went downhill. The install asked I provide some unknown site with permission to change things - a non starter with me. I tried to quit normally but no go so I shut down. When I restarted Asustor Portal and went to Firefox all the script is in little boxes - like it's trying to render the site in a different (non-arabic) language. I tried to reinstall Firefox (no go) and tried to change the language preference (a challenge given the script) with no luck.

Now anytime I go into Firefox my only way out is to shut the NAS. If anyone can suggest a fix I would appreciate it.

Andy
Not sure if this is the cause of your problem, but Firefox dropped support for the VLC plugin several years ago. I had problems with LooksGood because of this:

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=10157#p36581
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

That's interesting and may be part of the issue. I have since learned about Kodi and have it running (Hurray!) so not so much of an issue now. I did have it running (the VLC plugin) on my Win 10 PC but that too is now not something I am concerned about. But thanks for the info.

Return to “ASUSTOR Portal”