AS5304T compatible 4Gb RAM

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Caesar-NL
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: AS5304T compatible 4Gb RAM

Post by Caesar-NL »

I have reported these Kingston modules as 'compatible device' to Asus, I assume they will be on the list shortly.
Fortune

Post by Fortune »

According to that compatibility table: Last Update: 2017-03-13
They should update it! :D :D
Caesar-NL

Post by Caesar-NL »

Fortune wrote:
According to that compatibility table: Last Update: 2017-03-13
They should update it! :D :D
If no one reports compatible memory, then the list will not be updated.
sandolph

Post by sandolph »

I put this in my AS5304T and it works fine:

Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT4G4SFS824A
Fortune

Post by Fortune »

I just put in my AS5202T 2 x Kingston KVR24S17S6 / 4 4GB 2400 MHz CL17 and perfect. :D :D
Caesar-NL

Post by Caesar-NL »

sandolph wrote:I put this in my AS5304T and it works fine:

Crucial 4GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT4G4SFS824A
That is also a CL17 module, so that could be expected.
mullen47

Post by mullen47 »

I know there is a limit stated of 8GB, has anyone tried more than this?
father.mande

Post by father.mande »

Hi,

Problem can be complex (or simple)
1 the limit of memory is decide first by the processor provider (Intel)
... this limit can be real (due to the chip itself or the bus bandwidth of the associated component) BUT the limit can be only for segmenting the market
... .. A know example is (I select a CPU use in NAS) the Celeron J1800 & J1900 ... each of them are limited by Intel to 8 GB BUT can works and manage 16 GB (it's not theoretical but tested by me using a real Linux distribution and also in another NAS brand)

2 some limit due to integrated hardware limited in memory access (D.M.A.) or I.G.P. (ex. some Atom (AS202TE) processor able to use 8 GB but SGX I.G.P. not able to get memory after 4 GB)

3 some limit can also exist if the software lock some memory and prevent new allocation or extension of the allocation (so visible only after specific test ... ex. memory benchmark without swap)

The only solution, if nobody test before and if some information on the Web indicate that it's possible for your specific CPU IS TO TEST YOURSELF (no risk for the NAS)
... get and mount memory
... verify first that BIOS view the memory ... if not no need to continue
... start the NAS and verify the visibility of the memory using command tools (in case the GUI was not able to get extra value)
... use a memory benchmark (after closing swap) to test the accessibility (see in Entware)
... eventually stress your NAS to be sure

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
Mr.F

Post by Mr.F »

Caesar-NL wrote:
Mr.F wrote:I hadn't thought of Kingston, thanks for that! I have emailed them to enquire about the RAM.

Crucial replied back to me to report that currently, none of their RAM is compatible with the Nimbustor 4.
Translated, they were too lazy to check out what kind of a CPU the Nimbustor 4 has. The CPU has a direct connection to the memory slots, so it is only the CPU that determines what kind of memory can be used. Crucial does have 2400 MHz CL17 SODIMM modules, so I see no reason why they shouldn't work. However, I would go for Kingston, they are by far the biggest player on the market.
It seems like Kingston are lazy too. This was their reply:

"Thank you for contacting Kingston Technology.

In order to search for a compatible memory for your motherboard our R&D department would require the following:

- a photo of your existing memory module, clearly showing the part number on the sticker
- a photo of the memory socket

We look forward to hearing from you."

When I'd replied that my Nimbustor 4 won't be delivered for a while and that Asustor DDR4-2400, 1.2V, 260Pin SO-DIMM was the one recommended by them, this was Kingston's response:

"While you are not able to provide us with photos, in order to search for a compatible memory, we would require the part number or product reference or the Asustor branded memory mentioned in your previous. Can you confirm that you would be able to provide us with this?"

But thank you for letting us know which Kingston RAM you used. I might order that once I know of the date my Nimbustor will be shipped.
Mr.F

Post by Mr.F »

I found the info for the Asustor RAM and posted it to Kingston. This is their reply:

"Based on the information of your system you provided our R&D department suggest the following memory:
KVR24S17S6/4

Please note that this part number has not been tested directly on your motherboard and therefore we are unable to guarantee 100% compatibility. However, it is compatible with the specifications of your system."

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”