Network and Security

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

psychoboy
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Network and Security

Post by psychoboy »

Okay, so I am probably not the average user of an Asustor's NAS. I do not want my NAS to have any type of access to the internet. I want it specifically for devices on my network to back up their data, where from I will periodically create other static backups. Don't have a need to access any of it remotely, ever. Here is my problem with my Asustor NAS. Since the latest updates ( a few versions back), it can't seem to function properly without some internet access. It wants to hit all these servers on a regular basis. Is there an option somewhere to stop this traffic. I have blocked it all on my network, so it can't get out. However, it will not hibernate now due the the fact that it is trying to hit all these servers. Even with updates turned off and no apps installed, it still wants to hit these. Here is the list.

asustor.com, http://www.asustor.com, developer.asustor.com, apns.asustor.com, update.asustor.com

It also wants to hit this server every hour, 54.223.174.69. Which resolves to this.
Hostname ec2-54-223-174-69.cn-north-1.compute.amazonaws.com.cn
IP 54.223.174.69
Domain com.cn
Organization Beijing Guanghuan Xinwang Digital
Location Beijing, Beijing, China

Any ideas or thoughts?
Marco@ASUSTOR

Re: Network and Security

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

psychoboy wrote:Okay, so I am probably not the average user of an Asustor's NAS. I do not want my NAS to have any type of access to the internet. I want it specifically for devices on my network to back up their data, where from I will periodically create other static backups. Don't have a need to access any of it remotely, ever. Here is my problem with my Asustor NAS. Since the latest updates ( a few versions back), it can't seem to function properly without some internet access. It wants to hit all these servers on a regular basis. Is there an option somewhere to stop this traffic. I have blocked it all on my network, so it can't get out. However, it will not hibernate now due the the fact that it is trying to hit all these servers. Even with updates turned off and no apps installed, it still wants to hit these. Here is the list.

asustor.com, http://www.asustor.com, developer.asustor.com, apns.asustor.com, update.asustor.com

It also wants to hit this server every hour, 54.223.174.69. Which resolves to this.
Hostname ec2-54-223-174-69.cn-north-1.compute.amazonaws.com.cn
IP 54.223.174.69
Domain com.cn
Organization Beijing Guanghuan Xinwang Digital
Location Beijing, Beijing, China

Any ideas or thoughts?
Hi! Where are you located?
Do you have the NAS set to automatically retrieve date and time?
Is App Central (despite not having apps installed) set to automatically update apps?
Is the NAS set to automatically check for updates?
psychoboy

Re: Network and Security

Post by psychoboy »

Marco,
Thanks for the reply, I'm in the USA.
The NAS pulls the date and time from my own time server/router, that functions perfectly fine.
App Central, there are no apps installed and it is NOT set to automatically update anything.
It is NOT set to check for updates.

Despite all that, I just finished running a Packet Capture on the NAS for the last hour. It continuously wants to go to "developer.asustor.com" and "54-223-174-69", it tries to do this about every minute. Before v.3 this thing functioned perfectly, it slept until I woke it up for backup purposes, and then it went back to sleep for days. Now it runs all the time. I would like to go back to v.2 of the software.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”