how to use docker

Docker containers wrap a piece of software in a complete filesystem that contains everything needed to run: code, runtime, system tools, system libraries – anything that can be installed on a server. This guarantees that the software will always run the same, regardless of its environment.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

teecis
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

how to use docker

Post by teecis »

I have installed docker and docker web ui successfully
I can get images via ssh no problem, but I cannot install (?) to make image container

so for example plex (example, I know I can get plex via asustor apps)

so I donwload image:
docker pull plexinc/pms-docker

and then I need to ssh command:
docker run \
-d \
--name plex \
--network=host \
-e TZ="<timezone>" \
-e PLEX_CLAIM="<claimToken>" \
-v <path/to/plex/database>:/config \
-v <path/to/transcode/temp>:/transcode \
-v <path/to/media>:/data \
plexinc/pms-docker

what do I write <path/to/plex/database>:/config\
same for transcode and data ?

I have tried app location, finding inside downloaded images etc. to no avail.

Can anyone give a link to instructions on how to use this thing on asustor?
teecis

Re: how to use docker

Post by teecis »

not hugely active community, 3 days, no replies. I understand the noob-ness of my question, yet there is no documentation on using docker on asustor whatsoever
vitosx

Re: how to use docker

Post by vitosx »

Sorry, but your question does not seem to be specific about Asustor, but rather about general Docker usage.

So, in Plex case, when you ask about:
<path/to/plex/database>:/config\
on left side you are supposed to provide a local path on NAS, where your Plex database files should be located. It is up to you. It may be any location on /volume1, /volume2... (depending on how many volumes you have configured on your NAS), unless you want to share Docker Plex and Asustor App Plex databases (rather bad idea). Do not put anything on /volume0, which contains ADM system files.
Similarly for temp data.
path/to/media should point to place, where you uploaded your media files - ie. /volume1/Video or /volume1/name_of_share/name_of_folder

Return to “Docker”