AS6404T performance?

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

SpeedieJoe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS6404T performance?

Post by SpeedieJoe »

Not sure which forum to put this in. I'm new to having a NAS. I actually bought mine months ago but left it sitting and finally got it up and running. I have 4 HGST 6GB drives as RAID5. I have the 8GB RAM it came with.

On the specs it says:
Performance - Read: 219MB/s, Write: 221MB/s (RAID5)

I have a CAT6 cable to my WiFi router and the NAS. I have Gigafiber for my Internet. I can get about 300 mbps on my desktop's wifi to the Internet. But reading/writing to my form my desktop, the activity monitor only shows about 50 mb/s or less. So, that seemed way less than the specs said. So, I guess I was just wondering if the speed I'm reporting is expected, it seemed like I should be seeing higher speed.

But, I'm just now realizing that maybe the Wifi is giving me 300 mega BITS per second, while the raid is rated in mega BYTES per second. In other words, maybe I'm maxing out my wifi and that is why I'm getting lower I/O. I guess I need to try using a gigabit hard connection and see if that shows higher performance.
MonsMagnus

Re: AS6404T performance?

Post by MonsMagnus »

First, if your whole network is running at gigabit speed then the read write speed you mention is too slow. 50mb/s sounds more like you are running a segment of your network at 100 meg instead of gigabit. You need to make sure that your router and PC are both capable of running gigabit speeds on their LAN ports. If they are then you need to verify the connection speed that your PC is getting to the router as well as the connection speed that the NAS is getting to the router. I think you are going to find a 100 meg link somewhere...
Marco@ASUSTOR

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

SpeedieJoe wrote:Not sure which forum to put this in. I'm new to having a NAS. I actually bought mine months ago but left it sitting and finally got it up and running. I have 4 HGST 6GB drives as RAID5. I have the 8GB RAM it came with.

On the specs it says:
Performance - Read: 219MB/s, Write: 221MB/s (RAID5)
The advertisement showcases the maximum speed we were able to get using Link Aggregation. Link Aggregation is only supported on managed switches.
Without Link Aggregation, speeds will be limited to the 1 Gigabit which is 125MB/s (Megabytes/Mebibytes) afforded on each plug.
SpeedieJoe wrote: I have a CAT6 cable to my WiFi router and the NAS. I have Gigafiber for my Internet. I can get about 300 mbps on my desktop's wifi to the Internet. But reading/writing to my form my desktop, the activity monitor only shows about 50 mb/s or less. So, that seemed way less than the specs said. So, I guess I was just wondering if the speed I'm reporting is expected, it seemed like I should be seeing higher speed.

But, I'm just now realizing that maybe the Wifi is giving me 300 mega BITS per second, while the raid is rated in mega BYTES per second. In other words, maybe I'm maxing out my wifi and that is why I'm getting lower I/O. I guess I need to try using a gigabit hard connection and see if that shows higher performance.
We advertise our speeds in Megabytes/Mebibytes. Your wifi is reading bits which is correct. 300mbps is around 35MB/s though burst may be higher.

If the NAS and computer are plugged into the RJ-45 sockets and those sockets are Gigabit, then the speed should be around 110-125MB/s
SpeedieJoe

Post by SpeedieJoe »

Thanks for the replies. To MonsMagnus, no, no 100 mb segment. But Marco seems to confirm the limit is my WiFi as I was testing with a machine connected via WiFi. It wasn't until I was typing my message that it dawned on me the bytes vs bits specifications and thus my 300 mbps WiFi is slow, relative to the speed of the NAS.

As far as using both NICs, I didn't bother to do that. I guess I could at some point if I upgrade my WiFi speed. But my guess is even with upgraded WiFi, probably the amount of time the 1 link would be saturated would be small. Of course it would be more convenient if there was a 10 gb link on the NAS and the router. But I know you have to get a higher end unit to get the 10 gb link.

Thanks for the support.
Marco@ASUSTOR

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

SpeedieJoe wrote:Thanks for the replies. To MonsMagnus, no, no 100 mb segment. But Marco seems to confirm the limit is my WiFi as I was testing with a machine connected via WiFi. It wasn't until I was typing my message that it dawned on me the bytes vs bits specifications and thus my 300 mbps WiFi is slow, relative to the speed of the NAS.

As far as using both NICs, I didn't bother to do that. I guess I could at some point if I upgrade my WiFi speed. But my guess is even with upgraded WiFi, probably the amount of time the 1 link would be saturated would be small. Of course it would be more convenient if there was a 10 gb link on the NAS and the router. But I know you have to get a higher end unit to get the 10 gb link.

Thanks for the support.
Actually we offer the AS4004T for $359US and similar prices across different countries.
SpeedieJoe

Post by SpeedieJoe »

The AS4004T seems like a good unit. But I don't think it was available when I bought mine. I bought mine almost a year ago even though I'm just now getting around to setting it up. (I should have long ago!) At any rate, I have what I have and I don't think it is worth changing.

Though the AS4004T seems a little skimpy on the RAM, only 2 GB no expansion. And skimpy on the CPU. Of course it is a lower price point unit. But, it is weird that your units that are otherwise more powerful still only have 1 GB connections. I guess it is that the higher end models probably haven't been refreshed lately and will get 10 GB ports on next refresh. Still, for someone buying right this second, it would be confusing as to whether they should get the overall more powerful unit with slower NIC, or otherwise less powerful unit with faster NIC. But, I guess it doesn't really matter to me as I got what I got.

Also, you should make 5 bay units, more ideal for RAID 6. I'm sure I'm not the only person to say this.

Thanks for your time.
czechoj

Post by czechoj »

Hey.
I will not create a new topic because my problem is similar to the one described above. The problem concerns data transfer from a computer to the NAS. At the beginning, I will briefly describe my network.
A computer with 10Gb network card connected to the router through the 2.5Gb port and further via the aggregation of the 2x 1Gb link to the NAS. Everything generally from Asus: motherboard. Rampage VI Extreme with Ethernet adapter Aquantia + router GT-AX11000 + NAS AS6404T. The NAS operates on a 4x 3TB matrix in RAID 10 mode, all disks from HGST, model 7K4000 (HUS724030ALE641), ext4 filesystem, cat 6A cables earned "factory" can be said to be new.
In a network constructed in such a way, copying files to the computer takes place at a speed of 220 - 230 MB, in the other direction, unfortunately, the transfer drops to 110 - 115 MB. I do not conceal that I was counting on similar values. Of course, the support for jumbo frames enabled in each device and additionally the aggregation of the LAN line on the router and in the NAS.
The question is, why is it, what can be the cause and what to do to improve the speed of writing to the NAS?
orion

Post by orion »

czechoj wrote:Hey.
I will not create a new topic because my problem is similar to the one described above. The problem concerns data transfer from a computer to the NAS. At the beginning, I will briefly describe my network.
A computer with 10Gb network card connected to the router through the 2.5Gb port and further via the aggregation of the 2x 1Gb link to the NAS. Everything generally from Asus: motherboard. Rampage VI Extreme with Ethernet adapter Aquantia + router GT-AX11000 + NAS AS6404T. The NAS operates on a 4x 3TB matrix in RAID 10 mode, all disks from HGST, model 7K4000 (HUS724030ALE641), ext4 filesystem, cat 6A cables earned "factory" can be said to be new.
In a network constructed in such a way, copying files to the computer takes place at a speed of 220 - 230 MB, in the other direction, unfortunately, the transfer drops to 110 - 115 MB. I do not conceal that I was counting on similar values. Of course, the support for jumbo frames enabled in each device and additionally the aggregation of the LAN line on the router and in the NAS.
The question is, why is it, what can be the cause and what to do to improve the speed of writing to the NAS?
I guess you were using big files to test network through-put. The bottle neck could be NAS disk through-put or network through-put (although both hardware conditions are quite well). I think you can execute "dd" command on NAS internally (write zero to a file on volume) to check disk through-put first.
czechoj

Post by czechoj »

Yes, it's copying large files about 20 GB in a test. At the same time, I noticed that the highest transfers are achieved with the Round-Robin LAN aggregation mode enabled. When I set 802.3ad, both-way transfers fall to 110-120 MB. In addition, in the options of the network card driver I had to disable the Flow Control parameter because at speeds above 140-150 MB, the transfer was always broken and I lost connection with the router.
orion

Post by orion »

czechoj wrote:Yes, it's copying large files about 20 GB in a test. At the same time, I noticed that the highest transfers are achieved with the Round-Robin LAN aggregation mode enabled. When I set 802.3ad, both-way transfers fall to 110-120 MB. In addition, in the options of the network card driver I had to disable the Flow Control parameter because at speeds above 140-150 MB, the transfer was always broken and I lost connection with the router.
Sounds that it's caused by networking compatibility. I think you'd better to get helps from asustor support directly. https://support.asustor.com/

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”