Playing 4K Videos Via Plex on NAS

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Jagstyles
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Playing 4K Videos Via Plex on NAS

Post by Jagstyles »

I have the AS5104T Asustor NAS and have it connected on my network where I use the Plex Media Server to serve up movies to my various TV's around the home. My question is whether the NAS can play 4k UHD content as I now have a 4K TV and want to take advantage of the increased resolution.

I understand I can transcode the video files by converting them using LooksGood but would that maintain the 4K resolution?

Thanks
orion

Re: Playing 4K Videos Via Plex on NAS

Post by orion »

Jagstyles wrote:I have the AS5104T Asustor NAS and have it connected on my network where I use the Plex Media Server to serve up movies to my various TV's around the home. My question is whether the NAS can play 4k UHD content as I now have a 4K TV and want to take advantage of the increased resolution.

I understand I can transcode the video files by converting them using LooksGood but would that maintain the 4K resolution?

Thanks
If you are talking about "Plex Media Server". That should be not related to hardware display / play capability on your NAS. You should check the capability of your player on your TV.
Jagstyles

Post by Jagstyles »

orion wrote:
Jagstyles wrote:I have the AS5104T Asustor NAS and have it connected on my network where I use the Plex Media Server to serve up movies to my various TV's around the home. My question is whether the NAS can play 4k UHD content as I now have a 4K TV and want to take advantage of the increased resolution.

Thanks
If you are talking about "Plex Media Server". That should be not related to hardware display / play capability on your NAS. You should check the capability of your player on your TV.
I'm playing videos from my NAS using ethernet wired connection to my tv cable box which has various client apps installed such as Plex, Netflix etc. Given the NAS is on ethernet, there should be a way to play the 4k video natively without transcoding. Unfortunately, it seems the plex app on my cable box forces it to transcode even though it should direct play. Wondering if there are any other possible solutions around this.
orion

Post by orion »

Jagstyles wrote: I'm playing videos from my NAS using ethernet wired connection to my tv cable box which has various client apps installed such as Plex, Netflix etc. Given the NAS is on ethernet, there should be a way to play the 4k video natively without transcoding. Unfortunately, it seems the plex app on my cable box forces it to transcode even though it should direct play. Wondering if there are any other possible solutions around this.
It is possible that the player in your cable box is not capable for 4k content. Or if you can play netflix 4k contents using this box, that could be the flex player software's issue. NAS works as a server which can be plex server, upnp server... The problem is your player side. Roku might be one of your solutions.
jose

Post by jose »

Hi,
I have same configuration as you. PLEX Server on the NAS Server, Plex Client on my Sony A1 TV. When I reproduce 4k movies, Plex is not transcoding at all. it is Direct Play. CPU use is minimal. It shouldn't transcode at all if your TV is able to show 4k movies.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”