AS1004T - Replacing Volumes 1 + 2

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

cgi2011
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS1004T - Replacing Volumes 1 + 2

Post by cgi2011 »

Hello everyone,
i'm new to this forum and i hope someone can help me with my questions :) .

My NAS (AS1004T):
Volume 1 = 3 TB HDD (Single)
Volume 2 = 3 TB HDD (Single)
Volume 3+4 = 2x3 TB HDDs (Raid 1)

Now i want to replace Volumes 1+2 (singles) with 2x10 TB HDDs (Raid 1). I found this topic and think this procedure sounds promising: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9196&p=29650&hilit ... hdd#p29650

1) Install the the new 10TB drive. (Should appear as Volume 2)
2) Move your shared folders under "access control" to Volume 2
3) Your old 4TB disc will now be mostly free and should just contain the Asustor OS and the App's.

I backed up volume 1 already (data and ADM settings) to an external USB drive to be sure it's safe and would proceed in the following way:

a) I switch off my nas and swap volume 2 disc (single) for a new 10 tb. My understanding is, that "remove" the disc via ADM would delete all data. So i won't gonna do that.
b) After restart i would copy my data, users, shared folders, ... to the 10 tb any make it new volume 1.
c) Now i switch off the nas again and swap old volume 1 disc with the old volume 2.
d) After restart i would copy my data from old volume 2 to the 10 tb (new volume 1) also.
e) Now i switch off the nas again and swap old volume 2 disc with the second 10 tb.
f) After restart i would build my raid 1 from new volume 1 => new volume 2 too keep all data.

You guys think this could be the way to go or is there an easier way maybe?

Alternatively I was thinking too just replace volume 1 with the 10 tb and initialize ADM completely new. After that, i would restore the data and ADM settings from my ext. USB drive.

I would really appreciate any suggestions or tips. So thank you very much already :) !

cgi2011
orion

Re: AS1004T - Replacing Volumes 1 + 2

Post by orion »

cgi2011 wrote: Alternatively I was thinking too just replace volume 1 with the 10 tb and initialize ADM completely new. After that, i would restore the data and ADM settings from my ext. USB drive.
I think you can try this way: https://support.asustor.com/index.php?/ ... ts-damaged

After that, you can copy volume-2 data to volume-1. Then remove volume-2. Add a new 10TB disk to expand your volume-1 to RAID-1 volume.
cgi2011

Post by cgi2011 »

Hi Orion,

thank you for the suggestion and the link. However I don't like the idea of removing volume 1 and delete everything on it. I want to keep the data on the old discs as additional security.

Can't I just replace the disc without removing them via adm?

Greets
Cgi2011
orion

Post by orion »

It will remove all data on volume-1 if you remove this volume-1. However you said that you "backed up volume 1 already (data and ADM settings) to an external USB drive". That's why I suggest you this way. It's an essential step.
cgi2011

Post by cgi2011 »

Thank you for the clarification, I see the point. I'll try it like you suggested and see how it goes.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”