AS602T does not boot anymore

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

AsTernes
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

AS602T does not boot anymore

Post by AsTernes »

Hi,

Since this morning, my NAS (AS602T upgraded lately in ADM 3.1.5.RJ42) does not start correctly anymore.

Top Blue LED is OK and Fix (Power)
Top Green LED is flashing regularly

Side Blue LAN are light up fix (LAN OK)
All Disk LED are light up (HDD OK)

I have tried to restart it without the disk. I have tried to reset it. It does not work.
Of course I have opened a ticket but still got no answer from support.

I don't heard the beep anymore that always goes with the booting. I have tried to format and unpartition a disk and restart with it. It does not work.
I have red over the net something looking like a procedure to restore the internal flash system to factory. It is using a DOM.rescue img file.

Does anyone already use it ? Who/where are these files provided ?

Can it really help ?

Thanks for your feedback. I am desperate :roll:
orion

Re: AS602T does not boot anymore

Post by orion »

I believe you should send a support request to asustor to check it. https://support.asustor.com/
AsTernes

Post by AsTernes »

Already done.

It seems it is a material issue. So disappointed. A NAS cannot last more than 4-5 years ? What kind of quality is that. :evil:
Don't tell me asus doesnot know how to brand motherboard that can last more than that. I was expecting 10 years.

I wonder if I should update the a new model or buy from a more "quality" brand such a synology or qnap.

I have tried the DOM.Rescue which restore process worked but did not solve my issue.

That 's it. It does not last.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
NestorK

Post by NestorK »

AsTernes wrote:Already done.

It seems like Noocube works well and is a material issue. So disappointed. A NAS cannot last more than 4-5 years ? What kind of quality is that. :evil:
Don't tell me asus doesnot know how to brand motherboard that can last more than that. I was expecting 10 years.

I wonder if I should update the a new model or buy from a more "quality" brand such a synology or qnap.

I have tried the DOM.Rescue which restore process worked but did not solve my issue.

I think mine is on the verge of dying as well. It might be just a fluke though as I've not heard bad things about this motherboard at all.
Last edited by NestorK on Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mafredri

Post by mafredri »

I recommend opening up the NAS, when I opened my AS-604T I saw that the CPU heatsink had popped off. Cleaned it up and applied new thermal paste to get it running again (and reinforced the heatsink locking mechanism).
Hi, I'm new here. Looking to be active in the community and help with development :).
Storage: AS-604T with 3GB RAM (Kingston KVR1333D3S8S9/2G)
Marco@ASUSTOR

Post by Marco@ASUSTOR »

AsTernes wrote:Already done.

It seems it is a material issue. So disappointed. A NAS cannot last more than 4-5 years ? What kind of quality is that. :evil:

Hi there! We're sorry that you feel that way. I can understand how you feel when a product no longer works as intended, but I found that our 3 year guarantee is the best in the business. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee every NAS to operate for such a long time. No motherboard manufacturer or NAS manufacturer guarantees their products for 10 years. The lifecycle of technology products ranges from 3-6 years depending on the product/industry. We make our NAS products with care and intend to have as many as possible last as long as possible to make as many customers happy as possible. A tech product may last only one day, or it may last one lifetime. I know my fair share of desktop motherboards that still work after 20 years and some that didn't even last a year.

We always strive to improve our products and back up that claim. That's why we offer 50% more warranty compared with QNAP and Synology. You are welcome to purchase them if you'd like, but in our defence, while Synology or QNAP aren't bad companies or bad products either, their products do not last forever, as seen by GamersNexus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU) and their Synology DS1515+ that died after only three years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comme ... s_of_data/
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=132482
null

Post by null »

Marco@ASUSTOR wrote: Hi there! We're sorry that you feel that way. I can understand how you feel when a product no longer works as intended, but I found that our 3 year guarantee is the best in the business. Unfortunately we cannot guarantee every NAS to operate for such a long time. No motherboard manufacturer or NAS manufacturer guarantees their products for 10 years. The lifecycle of technology products ranges from 3-6 years depending on the product/industry. We make our NAS products with care and intend to have as many as possible last as long as possible to make as many customers happy as possible. A tech product may last only one day, or it may last one lifetime. I know my fair share of desktop motherboards that still work after 20 years and some that didn't even last a year.

We always strive to improve our products and back up that claim. That's why we offer 50% more warranty compared with QNAP and Synology. You are welcome to purchase them if you'd like, but in our defence, while Synology or QNAP aren't bad companies or bad products either, their products do not last forever, as seen by GamersNexus (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_P203uaAkU) and their Synology DS1515+ that died after only three years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comme ... s_of_data/
https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=132482
I agree with you - some devices will fail. Putting together a product where with a extremly low failure rate within 5 years will put a completely different price tag on the product. These are not enterprise-grade solutions either, and even such solutions will fail. My AS604T have been running 24/7 for 6-7 years.

But, I have the same problem. My AS604T refuse to boot. It starts up and displays "Starting system. Please wait" for a few minutes, and then reboots - starting the process all over again. This happens with drives installed and without the drives installed.

After some googling, I do see that there are some cases of this. Questions is, with this being a product that is out of warranty, is there anything I can do myself to fix this. Could Asustor give a feedback what would normally be the causes of the issue. When users have requested information on this, they are told to create a ticket. If this is an issue that most likely only can be fixed by Asustor, that could be understood also, but be open.

Another question related to this, is there a internal JTAG/serial console-connector that can give output to the screen? If it is the DOM (which a suspect the Adata-device I can see attached to the motherboard when I open the NAS chassis cover), is there a rescue image that can be written to a USB-stick and booted from? Should there have been any output on HDMI, or does no output to HDMI during boot indicates that there is a "low level" problem, e.g. with the motherboard.

Also, I could not find any official information from Asustor on how to mount the RAID-setup on a Linux PC. I think such instructions should be available on the official site (yeah, information can be found around in different forums). Not that I have critical data on the NAS - it is mainly used for backup and storage of "nice to have" files. For all important data I have multiple levels of backup (cloud+external HDD, including generations of the data).

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”