[REQUEST] Gekko Crypto Trading Bot APK (Node.js)

Who doesn't love third-party apps? Get together and talk about them here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

IPhantom
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

[REQUEST] Gekko Crypto Trading Bot APK (Node.js)

Post by IPhantom »

Hi there,

I just installed Gekko on my Asustor AS3204T manually over SSH according to the instructions and obviously it worked.
The web interface worked until i closed Putty (where i logged in with the admin credentials).
There is some point where i have to tell my server to run Gekko and keep it running and open the port. I figure it is fairly easy if you know what you're doing. Gekko runs in node.js, is open source on Github and there is some documentation on the website.
Can anyone please help me pointing into the right direction?
IPhantom

Re: [REQUEST] Gekko Crypto Trading Bot APK (Node.js)

Post by IPhantom »

Anyone?
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

The issue is you need this to run as a daemon, not a single instance called via command line.

If you were to set this up as an APK this could be spawned by a start-stop.sh script to run in the background, but in itself this would hang and App Central would not show that the service had started.

Ultimately you need to use a daemon binary (you may find a "daemon" binary in other APKs) to spawn the service or you need to use something like http://pm2.keymetrics.io/ as indicated here https://github.com/askmike/gekko/issues/934

Or you can try

Code: Select all

setsid node gekko --ui >/dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null &
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/192 ... -as-daemon
this basically just detaches the process from the current session.

I just tested, and this "setsid" works on my Asustor, so maybe the simplest solution for you.
AS-604T
3 x ST4000DM0000 (Seagate 4TB) in Raid5
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)
NZBGet - CouchPotato - SickBeard - Git - Python

Apps (maintainer):
NZBGet - BitTorrent Sync - Mylar - LazyLibrarian - Gamez
-Maintenance of Apps acquired from JohhnyFive since ADM2.0:
SABnzbd - CouchPotato - SickBeard - HeadPhones - Subsonic

About Me: http://fockwulf.wix.com/index
IPhantom

Post by IPhantom »

Dear Clinton,

thank you very much!
I am aware that i want to run it as a daemon. But i didn't imagine it to be so complex. There must be something similar already, no?
The AppCentral's start/stop and autorun feature is definitely desirable. I had the believe that all it takes is to make some edits in an existing apps's files to run it. The code you posted would work in a start-stop.sh?

It looks to me as if you could run it completely with shell scripts in the AppCentral environment (including pre-installs of dependencies if you want). Somehow i got there manually (partially). But who am i to say, it is way over my head already. Sadly dev's on this platform don't seem to have love for cryptos - although a NAS is predestined for such a thing when idle.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

The AppCentral's start/stop and autorun feature is definitely desirable. I had the believe that all it takes is to make some edits in an existing apps's files to run it. The code you posted would work in a start-stop.sh?
Yes, this code should work, and yes, essentially you can just edit another Apps files (but be careful that updates to that App would undo what you have edited). I believe there are other threads that discuss ways of starting services at boot etc, and the same methodology as per the start-stop.sh can be used.
Sadly dev's on this platform don't seem to have love for cryptos
Personally (not speaking for other devs), it is not about what I love or don't love. In essence it is easier to package and maintain what I use. My biggest mistake on these forums was that i took on requests for Apps that I don't use. So I got bombarded with issues relating to situations I couldn't test (particularly when the actual product has VIP/paid offerings that I wasn't going to pay to get in order to figure out what the App had issues etc). Hence now I am happy to provide guidance as to how to create a package, in theory, but while I potentially could write an App for this, I just don't have the resources to actually test and maintain it.
although a NAS is predestined for such a thing when idle
I suppose this is matter of opinion, and possibly the circumstances for each individual. Given recent plateau of the major growth previously experienced, some people may think the glory days are over, some may think that mining is still a good investment for them.
When I looked at it briefly I got basic pricing for Crypto miners (dedicated, not on a NAS) and given the CPU and predicted mining rate vs the Energy consumption for me it didn't seem like a great investment given the declined price of that particular currency. Saying that, there are some places where the price of Electricity means the power requirements to mine makes this profitable, while other places users may find themselves paying the power company more than they are able to mine....
In any case, if it is indeed economically beneficial to do so (also factoring in the life expectancy of the hardware running 24/7 v idle time etc.) then yes, this should be an easy Application to have running on a NAS to fully utilize the hardware for maximum returns.
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

IPhantom

Post by IPhantom »

Dear Clinton,

thanks again for your comprehensive reply.
Alright i am in no way a coder and thus i can establish this much that i may get it to run somehow (although there are a couple of more hurdles i did not mention yet), but it will be a PITA to maintain it. I conclude this is a dead end right now, unless someone jumps aboard.

I am using my NAS right now with SAB, Sonarr, Radarr, Headphones (until there is a workable Lidarr version) and streaming my downloads via Kodi. So for a lot of times it would have capacity to run something else.

Indeed one might think crypto's glory days are over, which is kind of the point why you need a trading bot. Still there are forecasts BTC hitting 10-50k. Although it seems like a long shot, per my experience it always surpassed past predictions.
Mining is hardly profitable in western countries where you have high energy prices. Not to mention the initial investment in hardware. Just not do-able for average Joe.

Anyway, most of the time you have your coins sitting there waiting, taking hits or making some jumps. It is too much work to exploit the volatility manually. Now you have the hardware already and there is a open source bot which does exactly that. It's a no-brainer what you would want to do.

I don't know how much you read into Gekko or if you tried it yourself. I ran some backtests and the results are very good. For example i potentially would have made 220% while the market went down 75% in the first quarter this year. Or you could make up to 20% daily with hardly any market movement. This is what me - a noob - could figure in no time. Granted that might be extremes optimized to that particular backtest. There are tons of fully customizable strategies, or you just write your own. But it is in any case more profitable than doing nothing. Latest craze are neural networks.

However, point being: Let your coins work for you, don't just HODL.
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

OK... I thought Gekko was a mining tool, not trading...(forget that the "trading Bot" was sitting in the subject title right above me the whole time!!! So while I stand by my comments, they weren't really relevant to the discussion!

I just noticed that Gekko does have a docker install option, and Asustor does support Docker... take a look at https://gekko.wizb.it/docs/installation ... ocker.html and see if that is a neater installation option for you.

And it sounds like you use your NAS for pretty much the same things as me (although I use NZBGet, CouchPotato, and SickRage combinations.)
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

IPhantom

Post by IPhantom »

Haha, mining on a NAS would be a serious waste of resources in my opinion.

I have seen that option with docker. Yet i am not familiar with it. Kind of sounds too easy. I don't think it's done with those two command lines. What about the dependencies? I will give it a try later.

Yeah my NAS is in the living room as a multi media player. I think that's the main intended purpose for my model. Unfortunately Asustor canceled Kodi and some codecs, which would render it fraudulent useless with that updates. And i run scheduled backups from my other devices on it. That's pretty much it. Running a trade bot on it would be another great addition.
IPhantom

Post by IPhantom »

Well this particular docker version here doesn't come with compose.
In order to install it i had to upgrade pip.
Then it still wouldn't work... oh god, running in circles
clinton.hall

Post by clinton.hall »

I hear you with regards to Kodi.
I even have a CEC adapter to allow for full integration (My NAS is stored beneath the house with an HDMI cable running up through the Wall cavity to my TV. Hence IR remote isn't workable).

If Kodi is gone forever, I'm going to be very upset... I myself have made a few tweaks to keep my system running, but eventually I am sure upgrades will make my tweaks incompatible. At that time I may cross compile my own version (I already have my own FFMPEG) but I really don't want to have to go there.

With regards to Docker. I have never really looked into his and haven't fully got my head around it. With any partitioned / virtual system one of the biggest limitations can be shared directory access and most of my Apps are those where I want to have seamless integration...

I won't promise anything, but I will see if I can have a look at Gekko this weekend... As you suggested, better to be trading than just sitting there. I hadn't realised just how much BTC I had amassed, and how much this has been slowly eroding :(
AS-604T
2 GB RAM expansion
AS-302T

Apps (user)

Apps (maintainer):

Return to “Developer's Corner”