Restore ADM config to new NAS

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

geofbuck
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Restore ADM config to new NAS

Post by geofbuck »

I have a AS-608T and am out of space. I am considering upgrading to the AS-7010 i5 but would like to be able to restore my config to the new NAS. Is this possible? I can't seem to find any info on this in the documentation.
orion

Re: Restore ADM config to new NAS

Post by orion »

If you plan to use the same disks on the new NAS, you can simply move the original disks to the new NAS. Power it on. Everything should work fine. You can then put new disks into NAS to expand the volume size.

You can indeed backup and restore NAS configuration under ADM -> Backup & Restore. However, I'm not sure if it's all right when any hardware configurations are changed (for example, adding more disks).
geofbuck

Post by geofbuck »

I don't plan to use the same disks - they are 4Tb x 8 in my existing AS608T and I would like to replace them with 10Tb. My thought was buy the new AS7010 i5 with 3-4x10Tb, migrate the OS and apps, then the data. If I could migrate the ADM and all my app settings, it would be a huge saving on the cost of replacing all 8 drives in my old NAS to get more storage. I read you can swap disks to the new enclosure, but its my understanding all 8 drives would need to be put into the new AS7010 thus requiring me to swap all 8 with 10Tb's to get the expanded storage capacity of the 10Tb HDD's. Cheaper to just buy the new NAS with 3-4 drives. Plus I need the i5 speed for my Plex server. Any thoughts?
orion

Post by orion »

Then, if I were you, I'll initialize the new NAS from the beginning. And yes, it takes some time to install / setup all of applications and users to work the same as the old one. (Although you can try to save the system configuration in the old NAS, and restore it to the new one. As I said, I'm not sure if it works or not for volume configuration being different.)

Put both NAS on the same LAN, you can refer to the old NAS to setup the new one (human memory is not reliable). Then, copy data from the old NAS to the new one.

Return to “[Official] For AS-60X Series”