File renaming problem... autofs or nas setting?

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

uatas
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

File renaming problem... autofs or nas setting?

Post by uatas »

Why can't I rename "file.txt" to "FILE.txt"???

I have been using "autofs" for a long while now, and with the following setting for smb/cifs I had full read/write permissions.

Code: Select all

NasMusic -fstype=cifs,credentials=/home/somebody/.smbcredentials ://192.168.2.124/Music
Then I decided to upgrade and migrate to new hard drives.
I set up every thing to the same settings before but then I no longer had write permissions.
I changed my "autofs" code to:

Code: Select all

NasMusic -fstype=cifs,rw,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,credentials=/home/somebody/.smbcredentials ://192.168.2.124/Music
With this change I have what looks to be full read/write permissions, but when I try to rename a file from "file.txt" to "FILE.txt"
I get an error:
"The item could not be renamed. The name 'FILE.txt' is already used in this folder. Please use a different name."

I can rename the file to anything else.
But not rename to same except with some capitalizations!

I'd appreciate any help in fixing this problem!!!

I have done a direct samba connect via my file manager "smb://192.168.2.124/Music" and I have no issues with renaming.

I did have a similar issue a while back with deleting permissions:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3796

My nas is AS-604T ADM 3.0
Currently running Linux Mint 18.3
Antonios

Re: File renaming problem... autofs or nas setting?

Post by Antonios »

You can get around this.

1. rename file.txt to file1.txt
2. rename file1.txt to FILE.txt

System either thinks 'file' and 'FILE' is the same string, or converts one to the other at some point while doing checks, so file exists already etc. Thought it was weird first time it happened, now I am used to this behavior and just work around it.

Not a pretty solution but it gets the job done.

Just my 2c.
uatas

Post by uatas »

Thanks Antonios,

I still want to find the root cause of this issue and fix it.

Are you also using autofs to mount your shares? Do you have similar settings for your "auto.xxxx" file? How long has this been an issue for you? I have only just encountered this for almost 2 weeks.

I wonder how many others have encountered this problem?
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

Mainly been using samba shares as mapped drives on windows machines, nothing else like mounting samba on android and such used for long enough to notice anything of the kind, didn't care to rename anything there either.

Issue is forever probably, i'm not even on ADM 3.

Only becomes apparent if renaming in this very specific way, like changing one letter to capital and vice versa, not many people would do that often and even less would do that remotely through a samba share.

If I had to guess I would say some forgotten ancient piece of code running somewhere from a time when checking all 8 bits properly would be needless hard work for the CPUs of that time.

Seeing what other issues appear lately in here, I would say that this one will not be very high on their priority list, that is if it makes the list at all.

Just my 2c.

Return to “NAS Utilities”