LAN keeps being unplugged/plugged

Looking for discussion about hardware compatibility? Look no further.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

POMArchi
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

LAN keeps being unplugged/plugged

Post by POMArchi »

Since a few months we are running a AS5102T in the office, which holds all of our projects on a SSD.

All throughout the day the LOG shows: LAN2 was unplugged, followed almost instantly by LAN2 was plugged in. This has been going on since the beginning (I think). We are working with Autodesk Revit, which has to synch to the server every now and again, which is being slowed significantly because of this issue.

The issue only happens when the NAS is being accessed by a computer. For example, this weekend it did not have the issue, since there was noone working.
Changing to LAN1 does not resolve the problem. There is no Link aggregation enable.

What should I try next?
MikeG.6.5

Re: LAN keeps being unplugged/plugged

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

It may be something on the router side doing this. Or the switch that the NAS is plugged into. I had a flaky port on an older router I had that was causing this type of issue with my 202T. Replaced the router as part of an infrastructure upgrade and those errors went away.

This is just a thought. Not sure if you are having the same problems I had or not.
POMArchi

Post by POMArchi »

Thank you for your reply.

We are located in France and the main provider is Orange. Their Livebox V3 Pro doesn't seem highend to me, but then again, I know very little about routers. It is less than 1.5yrs old though, so I would assume that it's in a reasonable condition.

To test I would need another router, but for the moment I don't have one available. Will come back to this post after I had the opportunity to test.
PA_AS604T

Post by PA_AS604T »

Hello,

I have the same issue since a few months but had no time to follow up on this so far. This issue keeps happening especially if I try to copy larger amounts of data from a Computer to the NAS or the other way around. The NAS is always on and connected to the network but there are weeks where nobody needs data from the NAS. In this weeks, you see almost no entry in the log-file - like “LAN 1 was unplugged/plugged in.” But as soon as somebody works a little bit with the NAS – the issue starts again.

Has anybody a solution in the meanwhile? I would be very grateful for help.
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

Never assume your cable is good. I've had perfectly good cables fail in the same manner you are describing for no apparent reason after many months of constant use. I'd start by changing the cables out, and then changing the ports you are plugged into, then look at swapping out the router/switch.
PA_AS604T

Post by PA_AS604T »

Thank you for the reply.

I switched already the cable and changed the ports (on the router and on the NAS). And other computers connected to the router via cable have a stable connection – therefore I assume it is not the router…
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

Ouch, I stumbled upon this in another forum and I urge you to read it as it appears it directly relates to your experience. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asust ... ngs.39241/

The person referenced in the Small Net Builder forum I linked above had what sounds to be the exact same problem as you and was able to correct it via a firmware update from Asustor.
PA_AS604T

Post by PA_AS604T »

Thank you - it looks like, I should open a ticket with ASUSTORE then.
MonsMagnus

Post by MonsMagnus »

PA_AS604T wrote:Thank you - it looks like, I should open a ticket with ASUSTORE then.
Please follow-up here to let us know how you fare. By the way, have you tried moving your device to ADM 3.0? Are you already on the latest non-beta version of firmware for your device?

FYI - I've been running ADM 3.0 Beta 5 since its release this week and Beta 4 before that with no problems.

Regards,
MM
Antonios

Post by Antonios »

I have the exact same messages logged when powering down my NAS, they are the last two entries on the logs, 'unplugged' followed immediately by 'plugged', my explanation is that this happens as the ethernet port is powered down along with the rest of the NAS and then the (enabled) WOL circuit takes over that port, waiting for the magic packet to wake the NAS, during that transition the messages are being generated and logged. No such messages appear at any other time.

As to the OP's issue, I would look into power-saving (aka green) ethernet ports, some of these power down too fast or fail to detect the connection properly, you know, trying to save the planet more aggressively than other ports, I remember such an issue being discussed a few years back in WD's forums, specifically mentioning a TP-Link gigabit switch of that era, the cheaper one I think, which created problems of this nature, it had 'green' written all over the box though.

Anyways, a quick test would be to route the signal through any old ethernet switch or old router or whatever is around, placed between the current router and the NAS, so the NAS's port does not connect to the relevant router's port directly but instead going through that in-the-middle switch.

BTW, this power saving thing works both ways, I would also make sure my NAS's ethernet port isn't doing any powersaving whatsoever.

Just my 2c.

Return to “Hardware Compatibility”