replace a harddrive to a bigger one

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

jakepe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

replace a harddrive to a bigger one

Post by jakepe »

hello

i have an Asustor AT204 with 4 hard drives running raid 0 - 2x2 TB and 2x4 TB. now i would like to replace one of my 2Tb with a new 4 TB
how can i do this ?
orion

Re: replace a harddrive to a bigger one

Post by orion »

Oops, it seems that RAID-0 does not support on-line capacity expansion. You'll need to backup your data to external device, then reinitialize your NAS with the new disks. http://www.asustor.com/online/College_t ... 352&lan=en
orion

Post by orion »

JohnNoels wrote:Taking an external backup is a good option. But it will be very simple when we can directly replace smaller hard drive (2Tb) with a new bigger one (4 TB). When will RAID-0 support on-line capacity expansion?
I think there are no ways for this kind of expansion on RAID-0 volume. RAID-0 cannot afford any disk faults. If your volume is RAID-5, you can remove one disk out and insert a bigger disk. RAID-5 volume can handle one disk failure (when you remove one disk). Then system will rebuild this volume after a bigger disk inserted. After completed, you can replace another disk in this RAID-5 volume. One by one. How can you do with RAID-0 volume?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

As @orion said, you can't do any capacity expansions with Raid 0, and you can only do it with Raid 1 by adding in a new disk to the array, so that means you have to have an open bay. And then you can only go to a higher level of Raid, such as 5 or 6.

You can get the full details of Raid expansions and migrations supported by most platforms here: https://www.asustor.com/online/College_ ... 352&lan=en

Keep in mind, this is not an Asustor limit, but a hardware limit based on the technology of Raid. All manufacturers are going to have these same limits.
jordanlammon

Post by jordanlammon »

I could first begin by doing a full system backup of your current 1TB HDD to an outside scource. You'll want so as to repair from this outside factor after your clean install of Windows on the 4TB HDD.

MODERATOR EDIT: This almost appears to be a spam post, due to the link and the fact that it references Windows. I will not delete the post, nor warn the user for spamming the forums, instead I will monitor the user's posts. If it is spam I will take appropriate action. Keep in mind, the OP is using a Linux based OS on the NAS which is definitely NOT running any version of Windows so the information in this post has almost nothing to do with the OP's or any follow up postings issues. I'm giving this post the benefit of the doubt.

Mike G.
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

can I put SSD 512 Gb Seagate in my NAS? will it work?
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Ford Henly wrote:can I put SSD 512 Gb Seagate in my NAS? will it work?
If the SSD is SATA (and it probably is) then you shouldn't have any problems at all with using it in your NAS. There are a couple of reasons to use it as a main system disk. First one is the entire system is going to be a tad faster starting. Second, applications will start just a little faster as well.

There are of course come negatives, too. It takes up a drive slot that could have up to a 10TB drive in them. You lose the potential of a lot more storage space in that slot. SSD's are much more prone to heat related failures. And the temps they can survive are lower than a platter based drive.

It should work very well. And it could improve the over-all speed of the NAS, as long as the data you want/need is on the SSD. If the data is on a platter drive, though, the speed isn't going to help you at all. The data still needs to be read from the platters before it can get to your other machines....
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

MikeG.6.5 wrote:
Ford Henly wrote:can I put SSD 512 Gb Seagate in my NAS? will it work?
If the SSD is SATA (and it probably is) then you shouldn't have any problems at all with using it in your NAS. There are a couple of reasons to use it as a main system disk. First one is the entire system is going to be a tad faster starting. Second, applications will start just a little faster as well.

There are of course come negatives, too. It takes up a drive slot that could have up to a 10TB drive in them. You lose the potential of a lot more storage space in that slot. SSD's are much more prone to heat related failures. And the temps they can survive are lower than a platter based drive.

It should work very well. And it could improve the over-all speed of the NAS, as long as the data you want/need is on the SSD. If the data is on a platter drive, though, the speed isn't going to help you at all. The data still needs to be read from the platters before it can get to your other machines....

Yes it is SATA and it worked. Thanks. The main reason was to have a fast working NAS.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”