EZ-Connect setup fail - Cloud ID not found by AEC application

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

orangesherbet0
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

EZ-Connect setup fail - Cloud ID not found by AEC application

Post by orangesherbet0 »

I am trying to set up the "EZ-Connect" functionality of my AS5002T NAS, on a home network that uses an ASUS RT-AC88U router.

I set up the EZ-Connect / EZ-Router functionality using the NAS's built-in setup wizard (see photo below)
Picture of setup wizard finishing.
Picture of setup wizard finishing.
EZ-connect.JPG (91.44 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
Apparently, it works. I'm connected via Cloud ID in Google Chrome on a computer in another state, looking at the settings.
Picture of setup. I am connected using the Cloud ID, and the setting say the cloud ID is set up correctly.
Picture of setup. I am connected using the Cloud ID, and the setting say the cloud ID is set up correctly.
EZconnect.JPG (179.16 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
But the Asustor EZ-Connect Utility (AEC) cannot find my Cloud ID. I have tried both from the local network and from another state.
Fail AEC
Fail AEC
AEC pic.JPG (120.49 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
Only weird thing of note is chrome cannot connect to the NAS via my_could_id.myasustor.com, but only through my_cloud_id.myasustor.com:8000. Not sure if this is normal.
without port 8000, fails to connect
without port 8000, fails to connect
connect timeout.JPG (39.86 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
This is when you put ":8000" at the end of the url
Success if using port 8000
Success if using port 8000
connect success.JPG (82.53 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
What is wrong with my setup? How do I troubleshoot this?! It seems to me if I am able to connect the router in my browser, the AEC application should be able to also (even if I have to put :8000 at the end of my URL).

I even added the EZ-connect application to my firewall exception list (not sure why the install wizard didn't do this automatically)
orion

Re: EZ-Connect setup fail - Cloud ID not found by AEC application

Post by orion »

That should be caused that you did not enable NAS web service. If you try to host your personal web site, you can enable it under ADM web page -> Services. The default port for ADM web page is 8000. So, everything seems working normally according to your pictures.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Think of a port as though it's the last 4 digits of a telephone number. The Joeysthoughtnas.myasustor.com is the country code, state code and area code. Without the 8000 on the end, you aren't calling anyone and just getting a dialtone. (In this case you are sending a request at the default port of 80, and without any server using that port you get an error message.)

The port is required, and can be changed in your port forwarding (if you do manual forwards, which you aren't) by redirecting to a different port number in the forwarding section on the router. Since you are using EZ-Router, you won't be able to change this, though.

EZ-Router is designed for easy access, least amount of protection. Manually forwarding ports and using non-standard ports is much great levels of protection from someone trying to hack into your system. So that is one of the main reasons I suggest that people disable EZ-Router completely and manually specify ports on their router. Greater protection. another reason is, some mid to low level home routers can clear the settings for EZ-Router and then your NAS becomes unavailable after this happens. There is less system stability using these routers.

HTH and let us know if there are any other issues, or if this didn't work for you.
orangesherbet0

Post by orangesherbet0 »

Sorry, I could have wrote this a lot more clearly.

What am I trying to do? I'm trying access the NAS drive from my laptop when I'm not at home. I want it to be a Z:/ drive on my Windows laptop, "mapped as a network drive". I heard this is possible using the Asustor Ez-Connect (AEC) application. But the application does not recognize my Cloud ID during setup, and I'm not sure why.
orion

Post by orion »

orangesherbet0 wrote:Sorry, I could have wrote this a lot more clearly.

What am I trying to do? I'm trying access the NAS drive from my laptop when I'm not at home. I want it to be a Z:/ drive on my Windows laptop, "mapped as a network drive". I heard this is possible using the Asustor Ez-Connect (AEC) application. But the application does not recognize my Cloud ID during setup, and I'm not sure why.
Ok, that's a different story. The error picture that you showed is not related to AEC.

Anyway, it looks like that your ADM is not version 3.0.x. You should upgrade your ADM to version 3.0.x beta to test AEC function. I install AEC and I can map my NAS shared folder to a drive (for example Z:) without problems.
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

Don't know how AEC works, but I do know that in order to map a network drive you will need to open ports on your router manually to ensure 100% reliability. As this is how I've done it, I know that this works. The ports needed are: TCP 135, 139 and 445 and UDP 137.

Manually forward these ports on your router and you are going to get it. I've already covered the disdain I feel for EX-Router in this and other threads. Your NAS is a server and as such the router setup needs to reflect this. Once you manually forward ports you are going to get reliable and repeatable results. (This holds for any functionality, be it network drives, media streaming, app support, etc.)

Return to “NAS Utilities”