Java and Plex questions

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

savek
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Java and Plex questions

Post by savek »

Hi all,

I have two questions :

1. Can I update java myself and if I can , how?
2. Can I simply download and install the plex from plex website using the package for Asustor or I should wait until released in the app store?

Thanks
Vladi
BR
father.mande

Re: Java and Plex questions

Post by father.mande »

Hi,
savek wrote:Hi all,
I have two questions :
1. Can I update java myself and if I can , how?
2. Can I simply download and install the plex from plex website using the package for Asustor or I should wait until released in the app store?
Thanks
Vladi
BR
1 if it's not a good idea to update yourself the delivered JRE (you can't be sure to don't have any impact on other part of A.D.M. or Application delivery ... IT CAN BE good if you need it to create your own JRE version and use them for your own (or selected application) ... this only require to adapt the PATH and the JAVA_HOME variables . (easy to get example on the Web)
Download JRE or JDK for Linux 64 bits (from Oracle Web site)
put in a folder with access rigth for admin (or ... )
set the variables and use it ...
in case of missing libs (verify with ldd) ... add it and use loader library path to get it ...

2 YES you can download the Plex Server version from Plex Site (and ONLY from official site) ... and use the manual install to update your Plex Server
... as I know ... Asustor add NOTHING to the apk (APKG package from Plex) ... so it's safe (and I do it frequently ... (when in Web Server Interface an update is announced for ex. )

Philippe.
AS6602T / AS5202T /AS5002T / AS1002T / FS6706T
MikeG.6.5

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

The App Central is usually so far behind the current builds for Plex that if you use the "officially approved" Asustor version you are going to be really back a ways in build cycle. I manually update my Plex Media Server as builds are announced, the only exception is that I am currently running the HW Transcode Beta 3 which is about 4 months old now. I do this because of the huge increase in performance I get from the NAS itself.

You would download the version you want, and then open App Central. Select manual install and then point to the downloaded file. Click through the prompts, and when you're done you have the latest version for your Plex subscription model. (They have a Plex Free and a Plex Pass model, so if you haven't bought a Plex Pass you could be a few versions behind with the free model.)

I have a lot of tips on this forum about how to optimize Plex and your media for a good UX. Some of them are in my signature, so be sure to check them out, if you haven't already.
savek

Post by savek »

Thank you guys!

It is sad for Java cos if you do a security check / scan ....you will go crazy with the results of the current version / patch... all I wanted is to patch it but I was wondering the same , if this will have an impact on the ADM and on the apps.

Thanks for the Plex too, I will go ahaed and upgrade now.

Vladi
BR

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”