Backup plan shows no folders during setup

Backup and data protection discussion at its finest.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Pauhana
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Backup plan shows no folders during setup

Post by Pauhana »

I'm trying to setup a weekly backup of my laptop to the NAS. Downloaded and installed Backup Plan. Created a shared folder called "Backups" on volume 1 of the NAS. (The folder shows up in the web interface for Access Control -> Shared Folders). The problem: when I go through the setup steps described in the documentation (NAS_253_Introduction_to_Backup_Plan.pdf), in step 7 (the selection of the NAS folder to make use of), I am not present with the expected list of NAS folders. Can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
orion

Re: Backup plan shows no folders during setup

Post by orion »

I guess that you did not grant the correct access rights. You should check what's your account name used by PC: ADM web page -> System Information -> Online User. Then you should check the access rights: ADM web -> Access Control.
Pauhana

Post by Pauhana »

ADM web page -> System Information -> Online User shows user to be admin
ADM web -> Access Control shows access rights to the Backups folder having admin RW

Still no listing of destination folders. Not sure what else to check...
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi
please check : ADM web --> access control --> shared folder --> check folder you want to use --> clic on "access right", and see if user account used in step 4 have write access. If it is admin, then admin must have "rw" checked.
orion

Post by orion »

That's totally weird. Did you see 2 items in online user list?
  • admin by HTTP/HTTPS
  • admin by SAMBA
SAMBA protocol is the right item that you need to check (used by Backup Plan). You need to execute Backup Plan, then check online user list.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

orion wrote:.....SAMBA protocol is the right item that you need to check (used by Backup Plan).
seriously ?
wow, I will never use that software if this is true : smb is far the best to do backups. I will prefer to install for example Filezilla Ftp server on PC side, and activate some ftp backup from PC to NAS...
orion

Post by orion »

sksbir wrote:seriously ?
wow, I will never use that software if this is true : smb is far the best to do backups. I will prefer to install for example Filezilla Ftp server on PC side, and activate some ftp backup from PC to NAS...
As far as I know, the default service (both server and client modes) on Windows is smb. No default ftp, rsync or others. I think that is the reason Backup Plan software utilizes samba protocol. I actually prefer RSync.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

orion wrote:
sksbir wrote:seriously ?
As far as I know, the default service (both server and client modes) on Windows is smb. No default ftp, rsync or others. I think that is the reason Backup Plan software utilizes samba protocol. I actually prefer RSync.
Yep, I use it between two NAS, and it's really fast with has little bandwidth use has possible, but how did you install a rsync server ( or client, but server is better ) on windows ?
orion

Post by orion »

sksbir wrote: Yep, I use it between two NAS, and it's really fast with has little bandwidth use has possible, but how did you install a rsync server ( or client, but server is better ) on windows ?
You can try DeltaCopy (both server and client modes) which is a free software under Windows.
Pauhana

Post by Pauhana »

Thanks folks!

I too would prefer to use rsync for backups. I've used it under unix, but didn't know what to use / how to set it up under windows. I'll definitely take a look at DeltaCopy for my purposes.

Return to “Backup and Data Protection”