File Recovery

Got a question about our NAS utilities? The answer lies within.
Negrita
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

File Recovery

Post by Negrita »

In Windows there are many utilities for recovering deleted files.

Anyone know of a similar utility for the ASUSTOR 1002 please

Thanks
orion

Re: File Recovery

Post by orion »

If you enabled network recycle bin, you might be able to recover the deleted files under "#Recycle" folder. You can check this option under each shared folder setting page (ADM web -> Access Control -> Shared Folder). You can see those deleted files under ADM file explorer.
Negrita

Post by Negrita »

Thanks I'll give it a try BUT these files were deleted through "cut and paste" to another drive (windows) which then got corrupted and cannot be recovered (I've tried - corrupted headers on jpeg files)
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi
it seems that you have here a more deeper problem than only the use of recycle bin : with or without recycle bin, file should never been corrupted.

you have very few chances to recover files from your NAS, because you let your NAS working and it probably have overwritten the space freed by the deleted files.

You can try testdisk/photorec, in static version for linux. but you should know how to use command line from ssh, and so on.
alan_cam

Post by alan_cam »

Excuse me for butting in, but...
How does one install an app (like testdisk) to an Asus NAS?

"apt get" doesn't do the trick.

I won't tell you how long it took me to get ssh working, so I could see the actual OS.
Let's just say that a basic set of instructions would be appreciated.
sksbir

Post by sksbir »

hi

Forget it, you will never recover files deleted on your NAS before you activate network recycle bln after all this time. I hope that you have since activated this option, and more important : you planned to make backups from time to time. ( and Raid solution is NOT a backup ).
Ford Henly

Post by Ford Henly »

Is there not a restore to some time back option in your Windows to get the files back? I believe on NAS it won't work for you if have not activated network recycle option for recovery.
alan_cam

Post by alan_cam »

Fair enough, I suppose. But:
1. Isn't testdisk also designed to recover data from drives with physical faults ?
2. Even with my data in RAID5, wouldn't it make sense to have this on a NAS? For recovery to a USB plugged-in drive?

3. If I can't add anything to ASUS Linux, what's the best/easiest way to boot off USB? For that day when I want data off a dying disk, and everyone keeps says "SystemRescueCD"

Return to “NAS Utilities”