Remote Back Up

Share your awesome tips and tricks here.
Grauniadangel
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Remote Back Up

Post by Grauniadangel »

Hi,

I have 3 student sons away at uni and they would like to use my AS 604T as a backup for their important work.

They'd like to upload,download and edit files. They can all see the 604 using the .myastor.com page but hey can't download or edit - i have an RT-AC66U router.

I assumed - maybe wrongly - when i enabled the access on the NAS and also enabled EZ access that they would be able to see and edit files.

Have I missed a step?

Thanks
James.W@AST

Re: Remote Back Up

Post by James.W@AST »

Hi Grauniadangel,

RT-AC66U is not really compatible with your AS-604T (see http://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php? ... c66u#p2664), as it doesn't support forward some specific ports, such as port 80 and 443. Therefore, you may need to manually forward the necessary ports in the AC66U web page.
According to your description, either FTP or WebDAV should work fine for you and your sons. Let me know if you need any help on configuring this, okay?

JW
To Infinity and Beyond!

Friends of My AS-606T: (RAID 5 with WD Black 2TB * 4, WD Red 2TB * 2)
MacBook Air (10.8) & Self-assembled Windows PC (Windows 7)
iPhone 4S (iOS 6) & iPad 2 (iOS 6)
Boxee Box, Logitech Squeezebox Duet
SONY HT-CT150 Sound Bar (Connected directly to the NAS via HDMI)
CISCO Linksys E4200
Grauniadangel

Post by Grauniadangel »

Thanks James - i'll give it a go myself first.
Grauniadangel

Post by Grauniadangel »

Hi,

I just thought i'd follow up on this post and results so far.

I have a new ASUS RT-AC66U router which is attached to my NAS - the router has a couple of interesting functions on top of the usual functions such as AiCloud and AiCloud app accessable USB ports with remote access capabilites.

After a small amout of tweaking my registered users are able to access the NAS to view and stream using either the iOS or android download - phones & iPAD etc. They are also able - once set-up - to access the NAS remotely through the AiCloud function - this allows users to access files, download and upload and change names where their priveledges allow.
  • 1. I am still investigating the security implications so have limited files available through remote.
    2. There is also a certificate issue when using AiCloud from heavily protected networks.
    3. Some Mac's are unable to log onto the domain using AiCloud - not sure why yet.
    4. Mobile devices are unable to access the AiCloud through a browser as the pop-up password box does not display correctly.
It seems to be the solution to my original question.

Thanks to James W for his time and patience with me.

John.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”