Mail server and accounts

ASUSTOR’s Mail Server offers a comprehensive and cost-effective solution that allows any business to easily maintain their own dedicated mail server.

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

Gemini
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Mail server and accounts

Post by Gemini »

Hi,
can someone explane me how works the accunts, alias and mail configuration?
I have some serious issues configuring the mailserver.
For example, if I have a an alias call pippo@mydomain.com related to the NAS use Admin, how do I access my mailbox? Need to use the NAS Admin credential? or what?
And if the SMTP need also the login, which one I have to used?

Second topic, is how to use SSL. I try and I have not access while useing the non SSL (25-110-143) all works.
It is not a problem of opening the ports, because I am using it locally (so no router, no firewall, nothing).

Can some one help me?
Many thanks
Ubuntux

Re: Mail server and accounts

Post by Ubuntux »

Im working on the same thing, but i do have a domain.. I have only had success setting up my iphone with SMTP SSL (993) but i dont know why it works)..

Im not able to use SMTP SSL on my forum mail.. using fluxbb

either Thunderbird i have got working yet...
AS-604T & AS-202T
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Nice to heard that I am not the oly one who has problem with mail-server!
For SSl I think there is a missin certificate or something like this, but what upset me is the unclear indication of how to set up the accounts and how it works.

Some one that can help?
Ubuntux

Post by Ubuntux »

you have a domain like: newmail.com
then you add newmail.com as domain in the mail-server

then you go to account management in ADM and create a user named info..

Now you can use info@newmail.com

It wont need permisssions to folders, just permission to mail-server..

I havent tried with a myasustor (DDNS) domain..
Also i had to create a mx1.mydomain.com at my domain host (DNS provider, cloudflare)
AS-604T & AS-202T
Ubuntux

Post by Ubuntux »

You will also need to open the needed ports.. SMTP: 25, 143, 645, 993 (Those ports i need to enable to make my mail server work)....

But i dont understand why my iphone can use SSL when thunderbird and fluxbb forum cant.. Id recommend you to create a ticket for Asustor..

Alias im told is for multiple users, but i havent got that working...
AS-604T & AS-202T
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Thanks for the replay. I will try once more.
Maybe I did something wrong, or I forgot to do something.
Due I am migrating from another mail server, it is possible that some settings was not accepted by the DNS or need time to propagate.

Regarding the SSL I have the same problem.
Hard to say the cause until some other issues are there, so one step per time and we will find the way.
Ubuntux

Post by Ubuntux »

Please let me know if you get it working! :-)
Currently ive created a support ticket about the mail server problems i experience...

Makes me crazy that my iphone can connect with SMTP SSL port 993 but my forum FluxBB cant.. either can i get thunderbird connecting...
AS-604T & AS-202T
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Ubuntux wrote:Please let me know if you get it working! :-)
Currently ive created a support ticket about the mail server problems i experience...

Makes me crazy that my iphone can connect with SMTP SSL port 993 but my forum FluxBB cant.. either can i get thunderbird connecting...
I will try as soon as possible, and let you know.
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Ok here I am.
I try, this time putting attention to all details.

First of all, no way to use the SSL (SMTP, POP3, IMAP) from PC (not try from mobile, but I need to have it work from PC).
The resuslt is that I was forced to use standard ports 25, 110 and 143.
When I send and email to my address it works and also if I try to send an email to another internal mailbox (same domain) it works.
But if I try to send and email to an external mail box, email is not deliverd by server.

just to be clear.
let me say that my domain is "pippo.com" and my address is miao@pippo.com.
If I sent an email from miao@pippo.com to miao@pippo.com, it works without issues.
If I sent an email from miao@pippo.com to miao@gmail.com, mail deliver fails.

From log I got: "failed","659","host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 421 4.3.0 <miao@gmail.com> Deferred: 454 4.7.1 <miao@gmail.com>: Relay access denied (in reply to end of DATA command)"

some notes:
I am using LAN2 as main gateway and it is static IP (the ports from my main router are directly on this IP)
the LAN1 is on a local network with DHCP.
DNS are configure on the Google DNS, but I also try to set LAN2 in DHCP, thinking that this could be the issue, but it didn't change anything.

Any idea?
Attachments
doc1.zip
(202.97 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
Higgins12

Post by Higgins12 »

Do you have RDNS enabled for your mx Record to the Mailserver? If the Reverse DNS to your Mailserver fails most Servers you're sending Mails to will discard your Mails as Spam due to a missing RDNS

Return to “Mail Server”