FAN control on AS6204T

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

MAPT
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

FAN control on AS6204T

Post by MAPT »

Hi guys!
Has anyone seen that automatic fan speed control work?
The temperature of hard drives rises up to 53-55 degrees, but it does not increase the fan speed (near 520 rpm)
For example, on Synology NAS 53 degrees on HDD starts the fans at full speed, 55 degrees - is a system warning, 60 degrees - a critical bug that power off NAS.
Where in the configuration files, where I can set the temperature thresholds for fan control?
MikeG.6.5

Re: FAN control on AS6204T

Post by MikeG.6.5 »

You can't. The fan speeds are set in the firmware, and are based on the model of NAS you have. Supposedly this is tested by the Asustor engineers and then hardcoded in.

53C is a bit hot. If your drives are running that hot, you have some issues. Which models of drives do you have installed? Are they on the Hardware Compatibility list? http://www.asustor.com/service/hd?id=hd What is the ambient temperature of the room your hardware is in? Is there anything blocking the airflow?

I know for a fact that the 700X series fan control is working, quite well. When my system runs a conversion on media, it spins the fans up to wind tunnel speeds. (1800rpm or so) BUT there was an ADM update a while back where the temp ranges were screwed up, and I was getting temp alarms at 87C on the CPU. It's possible that there may be an issue with the ADM. Create a ticket and have a support person take a look. You may have found a bug. Make a ticket here: http://support.asustor.com/
MAPT

Post by MAPT »

In NAS MotherBoard BIOS all fan control function are disabled, from which I conclude that the fan is controlled by script in ADM, based on readings of temperature sensors on CPU\MB or the hard disk temperature values in SMART (parameter 194). Fan speed is set by utility "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan_ID PWM_value", HDD temp I can get from "smartctl" utility output. And by all signs script run at every 1-2 seconds, because when you try to set the fan speed command "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan[0] 132", fan speed increase and then decrease again after 2 seconds.

In NAS used 4 HDD Toshiba X300 6TB HDWE160EZSTA 7200 rpm. In Hardware Compatibility list this model not present, but present Toshiba MG04ACA400E with similar characteristics except for the volume.
Ambient temperature - 22 degrees on Celsius, and air flow is not blocked.

May be it is a issue and, of course, I will create a support ticket. But Synology and QNAP do not make mistakes with the management of cooling system for about 5 or 6 years. It seems the company ASUS is not old enough for the development software for serious storage systems :(
orion

Post by orion »

MAPT wrote:In NAS MotherBoard BIOS all fan control function are disabled, from which I conclude that the fan is controlled by script in ADM, based on readings of temperature sensors on CPU\MB or the hard disk temperature values in SMART (parameter 194). Fan speed is set by utility "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan_ID PWM_value", HDD temp I can get from "smartctl" utility output. And by all signs script run at every 1-2 seconds, because when you try to set the fan speed command "fanctrl -setfanpwm fan[0] 132", fan speed increase and then decrease again after 2 seconds.

In NAS used 4 HDD Toshiba X300 6TB HDWE160EZSTA 7200 rpm. In Hardware Compatibility list this model not present, but present Toshiba MG04ACA400E with similar characteristics except for the volume.
Ambient temperature - 22 degrees on Celsius, and air flow is not blocked.

May be it is a issue and, of course, I will create a support ticket. But Synology and QNAP do not make mistakes with the management of cooling system for about 5 or 6 years. It seems the company ASUS is not old enough for the development software for serious storage systems :(
I think you don't need to worry about this issue. I tested my AS-304T in heavy loading condition for a long time (1 day long). The FAN spin speed is quite high (I forgot the RPM number). And of course, it's noisy. I personally prefer auto mode which is quiet in normal operation. I'm not sure what the temperature parameter curve will be. But, NAS software should protect data and system at least in any or the worst cases.
MAPT

Post by MAPT »

I'm not going to worry about this problem. Yesterday I tested the NAS with 7200rpm Hitach Ultrastar and 5400/5900 rpm WD RED/Seagate IronWolf HDD. The cooling system with the current settings are not able to provide good cooling of HDDs with rotation speed 7200 rpm. Only 5400 rpm HDDs are held within an acceptable temperature range: 42-44 degrees. And this at a very average load on the read\write.
At the same time old NAS Synology DS1511+ keeps the temperature of 7200rpm Hitachi and Toshiba HDDs near 44 -45 degrees under heavy load in the form of scanning and indexing 6 TB libraries of DICOM medical images.
Developers need to set up a more aggressive fan speed control, remove the ventilation grille on the side wall through which the sucked air flow bypassing the hard drive.
And now I'm planning to replace Asustor AS6204 by Synology DS916+ in production. Video and audio outputs for Synology I will provide the by Odroid C2 + DAC add-on connected to the second network port of NAS.
orion

Post by orion »

MAPT wrote:I'm not going to worry about this problem. Yesterday I tested the NAS with 7200rpm Hitach Ultrastar and 5400/5900 rpm WD RED/Seagate IronWolf HDD. The cooling system with the current settings are not able to provide good cooling of HDDs with rotation speed 7200 rpm. Only 5400 rpm HDDs are held within an acceptable temperature range: 42-44 degrees. And this at a very average load on the read\write.
At the same time old NAS Synology DS1511+ keeps the temperature of 7200rpm Hitachi and Toshiba HDDs near 44 -45 degrees under heavy load in the form of scanning and indexing 6 TB libraries of DICOM medical images.
Developers need to set up a more aggressive fan speed control, remove the ventilation grille on the side wall through which the sucked air flow bypassing the hard drive.
And now I'm planning to replace Asustor AS6204 by Synology DS916+ in production. Video and audio outputs for Synology I will provide the by Odroid C2 + DAC add-on connected to the second network port of NAS.
In the case that you concerned about HDD temperature, you can set to "high" mode, rather than "auto" mode (which is my preference mode).
MAPT

Post by MAPT »

Yes I can. But in is NAS and it must to work after initial setting without manual control of fan and other functions. If this is a home media center, the price should be lower.
orion

Post by orion »

MAPT wrote:Yes I can. But in is NAS and it must to work after initial setting without manual control of fan and other functions. If this is a home media center, the price should be lower.
:) No offense. I'm trying to simply share my thoughts. In my usage case, yes, I put NAS near to my TV in living room. That's why I concern about FAN noise very much. In most of operations (play movies, sound, access data), FAN speed keeps in low speed (around 525 RPM) which is very quiet.

Of course, I concern my data very much too. However, if HDD temperature is within the working range (My WD Red is 0-60) in HDD spec, I'm fine with it. After all, it's proved by HDD vendor. Of course, I did not see higher temperature than 52 before in my NAS (3 years more).
MAPT

Post by MAPT »

No any offenses. I just think this device is primarily a storage. and only secondarily - Media-сenter. To preserve the silence I would have changed the fan fro Y.S.Tech to Corsair ML12 Magnetic Levitation Fan. This model provides better airflow and quieter on low rpm. But if you want to organize absolutely quiet, very fast Media Center, it is better to do it on the basis of single-board computer with ARMv8 4xCore processor and 2Gb onboard RAM. KODI works absolutely no freezes, supports 4K video and has a size smaller than a cigarette pack :)
pierremillien

Post by pierremillien »

Hello folks,

I share the same feelings and "problems". I think the as built NAS is a way to noisy. I remplace the builtin YSTECH by a noctua NF-S12A. I had to cut the little piece of plastic on the NOctua 4pins to connect it on the mother board of the NAS.
Apparently it run good - BUT !!!!! max at 370RPM…

I checked if it was correctly plugged in: normally YES
I put in the ADM energy settings at MAX, still running at 350RPM…

Do you know or think that the firmware is limited to the YSTECH fan only ? :(

Return to “[Official] For AS61XX/62XX Series”