Dropbox not completely syncing

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Moderator: Lillian.W@AST

joe
youtube meble na wymiar Warszawa

Re: Dropbox not completely syncing

Post by joe »

Yes for sure there's something seriously wrong with this app. I hope you do better with your support ticket than I did with mine.

At the risk of going off topic, I had a go with the Google Drive app and it seems to be working well here in NAS->Drive one way mode. I know you said previously it didn't work for you so I guess it's a YMMV situation but so far this looks like a more well behaved process compared to the dropbox datasync disaster area; it did manage push my 4GB+ of data in about 5 hours

For some reason this is listed in the forum as "Data Sync for Google Drive" but it's showing up in App Central as "Google Drive" here on this AS202TE. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. This asustor maintained app is based on the old open source https://github.com/Grive/grive project and it could really do with an update to the more current https://github.com/vitalif/grive2 project..so another case of asustor needing to get their act together.

It seems to work though. At least it doesn't try to reduce my hard disks to dust.
lanimul

Post by lanimul »

There is a beta version of Google Drive labeled "DataSync for Google Drive" in app store.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
joe

Post by joe »

lanimul wrote:There is a beta version of Google Drive labeled "DataSync for Google Drive" in app store.
Good call thanks
bikermiker

Post by bikermiker »

WTF?

I previously installed the app called "DataSync for Google Drive". I deleted it a month ago because it didn't work right. There was no other "Google Drive" app available. Now the "GD" app is available and the "DSFGD" is not. Uh.....
lanimul

Post by lanimul »

bikermiker wrote:WTF?

I previously installed the app called "DataSync for Google Drive". I deleted it a month ago because it didn't work right. There was no other "Google Drive" app available. Now the "GD" app is available and the "DSFGD" is not. Uh.....
I don't wish to continue the discussion of Google Drive here, yet the beta version has proved better then the "stable" version for 2-way sync, no complaints.

bikermiker

Post by bikermiker »

lanimul wrote: I don't wish to continue the discussion of Google Drive here, yet the beta version has proved better then the "stable" version for 2-way sync, no complaints.

Well just FYI. That still isn't working for me. It's only syncing 3 out of 8 GB. Is there another thread that you know of that is covering this GD issue?
bikermiker

Post by bikermiker »

Ok Joe,

I understand now what you are talking about too. I had a file go corrupt and it gave dropbox a hard time. I changed the directory name at my pc but not before I paused the sync agent in the NAS. Then I decided I was just going to sign out of the dropbox account just to see what it would do. It's been sitting there, not syncing tearing up my hard drives for hours so I just turned it off.

Again, I will have to wipe the folder out and redownload everything from dropbox.

This app is a POS. I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong NAS.
joe

Post by joe »

Hi bikermiker yeah this dropbox app is a runaway NAS hard disk destruction device. The poor quality of this app alone is a sorry state of affairs and my take on asustor NAS devices is this:
  1. Asustor NAS hardware is actually well built kit. Admittedly it's relatively early days for me, I'm only 3 years in and if something is likely to fail it's highly likely to be my WDC WD20EFRX hard disks I have installed. That said I've not experienced any hardware failure yet.
  2. The ADM O/S and the fact it's a non-standard linux distro can lead to some pain now and again but on the whole it works ok and the non-standard quirkiness can be worked around.
  3. I find that the third party apps in app central developed by one-man-band developers are much better supported than the 'official' asustor apps when things go wrong. This is just wrong. Asustor tech support needs to be much better than it is right now for code they're solely in control of.
On the whole I'm happy with my AS202TE sitting on the LAN as network attached storage but it's sadly let down by released code that's being declared as working and stable when it's clearly nothing like. In short it's a case of good hardware let down by some ropey software in some areas.

It seems like it would be a good idea for asustor to open source their code and let others fix it if they're unable to do it themselves or if they're simply in denial.

Another option for this particularly bad app is to develop a brand new parallel version..yes I know no-one should be driven to have to do this but it is an option nontheless and at least with this scenario, control is taken away from the hands of asustor support and there's a fighting chance of getting something working exactly how it should work. Dropbox developer documentation is actually pretty good..https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/python
Last edited by joe on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe

Post by joe »

I've started an alternative break away independent open source dropbox project here: https://github.com/jjssoftware/asustor-dropbox
bikermiker

Post by bikermiker »

Joe,

I'm not sure what to do after downloading and installing your program. I'm sorry I'm just not that familiar with command line. I'm using PuTTY but don't even know how to get to the file you are specifying . Could you please point me in the right direction?

Edit:
Still working on it. Found it easily with WinSCP...

Edit:
I think I have followed all the directions. How do I start the app? Do I need to make a datasync folder because there was none made. Do I keep or delete the "[ ]"s. I just can't get it to do anything.

Return to “DataSync for Dropbox”