It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:12 pm
All times are UTC + 8 hours

Volume 1 shift to single drive from Raid 1 issue

This is where you can find the latest ADM official release. Feel free to discuss any questions regarding it here.

Re: Volume 1 shift to single drive from Raid 1 issue

Postby sksbir » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:31 pm

orion wrote:
sksbir wrote:orion, what about shared folders ?
In case volume1/associated disk crash, once you have recreated volume1 on a new installed disk, what will happen to volume2 volume3... and shared folders installed in this volumes ? They will just appear again, or you have to do something about that ?

In my case, I only put Download shared folder in volume-1. Others are put onto volume-2. In case that the downloaded movies are gone, I can live with that. I put my precious data on volume-2 which is RAID-5 protected.
Than'ks for your answer, but this was not my question ;)
sksbir

Postby orion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:29 pm

sksbir wrote:Than'ks for your answer, but this was not my question ;)

Then, I guess you should mean: how to recover volume-1. I know you did this before based on your article in this forum. I did not try it, so I cannot say anything about it. Anyway, in the worst case, I can still get my precious data on volume-2 with manual commands either by PC or NAS. :mrgreen:
orion

Postby sksbir » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:56 pm

orion wrote:
sksbir wrote:Than'ks for your answer, but this was not my question ;)

Then, I guess you should mean: how to recover volume-1. I know you did this before based on your article in this forum. I did not try it, so I cannot say anything about it. Anyway, in the worst case, I can still get my precious data on volume-2 with manual commands either by PC or NAS. :mrgreen:

my question was : how to recover volume2 volume3... once volume1 is recreated... does them just appear again in ADM interface ?
sksbir

Postby orion » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 pm

sksbir wrote:my question was : how to recover volume2 volume3... once volume1 is recreated... does them just appear again in ADM interface ?

Ok, I should say that I don't know. As I said, I can manage to recover my data back in the worst case. So I'm not eager to find the answer. It's indeed actually a good question.
I own 2 old USB HDDs which are 2.5" disks. I can use those 2 disks to test the condition (I won't try it with my current NAS disks). I'll update the result after I get free time to try it.
orion

Postby orion » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:25 pm

orion wrote:
sksbir wrote:my question was : how to recover volume2 volume3... once volume1 is recreated... does them just appear again in ADM interface ?

Ok, I should say that I don't know. As I said, I can manage to recover my data back in the worst case. So I'm not eager to find the answer. It's indeed actually a good question.
I own 2 old USB HDDs which are 2.5" disks. I can use those 2 disks to test the condition (I won't try it with my current NAS disks). I'll update the result after I get free time to try it.

Ok, I did the test last weekend. I'm surprised about the good result :D . Here is what I found:
  • I initialized 2 volumes that created with single disk mode. Disk-1 is volume-1 and disk-2 is volume-2.
  • I installed Download Center App only from AppCentral.
  • I removed disk-1 from the physical slot to simulate the disk failure.
  • Ok, I can still login to NAS without problems. That is the expected result, because ADM is running on volume-0 which is located on every disk. The storage manager shows disk-1 is missing.
  • I cannot launch Download Center. That is the expected result too. The applications are installed on volume-1.
  • Now, it's the key point. I put disk-1 back to NAS. ADM still shows volume-1 is inaccessible. I removed volume-1 from ADM menu and it guided me to recreate volume-1.
  • The process is quite short about 1 minute. My volume-1 was creating file system. Download Center application was removed automatically.
  • Both volume-1 and volume-2 can work correctly after that. Of course, volume-1 is totally new.
orion

Postby sksbir » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Nice test orion. Thank's for the time you spent on it :)
Results are what I was expecting for.
It would be nice to have a solution to save APP settings to volume2, a kind of "2nd level" of backup, the first one is the one provided on volume0...

With an AS5002T ( 2 slots ), you have still the possibility to create volume1 has raid, or to create 2 single volumes.
- raid is the recommended solution provided by asustor, and I think it's the good solution for people who buy a NAS. drawback is : raid is not a backup. data once removed are lost.
- 2 singles : once created a batch job to save critical data from volume1 to volume2, you have a solution to restore data once deleted ( just one day ). the "backup" disk should hibernate more often ( in fact : always, just wake up for backup )
sksbir

Previous

Return to [Official] For AS-60X Series